does anyone want to join me in an class action lawsuit vs airbnb?

Kai32
Level 4
New York, NY

does anyone want to join me in an class action lawsuit vs airbnb?

It appears that their penalities are quite predatory, and seems like they will offer these "helpful" suggestions to get more booking such as instant booking.  What they bank on is that the hosts forget to turn it off, despite notifying the customers right away.  Furthermore, no one at Airbnb appears they want to help and theres never seem to be supervisor around when I ask to speak with management.  This has to be a predatory practice somehow and I think we should join forces to make our voices heard.

250 Replies 250

test

Hi, I'd love to join the lawsuit but can I if I am not in the US?

Nakesha0
Level 2
Clinton Twp, MI

I would like to join the lawsuit. I have been wronged by them for the last time. I have screenshot proof and hours of phone conversations with agents to prove their manipulation of my pricing rules.

Angerick0
Level 1
San Juan, Puerto Rico

We had guests throw a pool party at my property recently.  Cops came and its was a circus for me and the neighborhood.  We reported the incident that evening to Airbnb.  We requested the site to cancel the reservation and refund the remaining days.  Can you believe that Airbnb rejected our request and literally said that "nobody was shot or limb are not broken".  We had uploaded videos, pictures and all proof of the party.  Airbnb is just as abusive as the guests at our property that threw the party.

Donna372
Level 2
Bartlesville, OK

I have been slandered too. It's guilty until proven innocent. I will be interested if they do not resolve an on going problem. Has anyone noticed a lot of pop ups on this site since they went public?

Donna372
Level 2
Bartlesville, OK

it appears that they are starting to block us. Airbnb Hosts on FB

Donna372
Level 2
Bartlesville, OK
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Kai32,

Not sure what kind of loss you would be suing for and what kind of proof of damages and neglegence you would present. Their penalties are quite clear-it's just that a lot of newbie hosts and guests don't take the time to read the policies. I can't see how that is their fault. Instant Booking is a valuable tool for many-I use it for 2 of my 3 listings but it is my job to manage my calendar and pricing. Again, if you forget to turn it off that is not their fault. Admittedly, their customer service isn't the best but not sure how that would translate into a class action law suit. Quite a few issues here on the board are just a result of people not doing their homework and blaming AirBnB (ie cancelation penalties, bending their own house rules, hosting an apartment without their landlords permission, communicating off line...). Maybe you can elaborate a bit on your issue?

@Kai32    I've had issues in the past month that I've never had in 4 years.  I've had CS agents admit there is a glitch or issue only to have the supervisor negate it.  I''ve had a Supervisor say to me, and yes I have the recorded call, that Smart pricing sometimes does not turn off when you turn it off.  Meaning it books it below what you have set. That has happened to me 3 times over a month.

I had to remove a guest for having multiple people in my home ( that were not registered guests) after I went to bed at 3a for overnight stay.  

I don't believe this in due to people not reading.  It was clear to me that - there are major issues going on within the infrastructure of Airbnb's system both the technical system and the customer service system.

They do not train their CS agents enough.  So the turnaround here is that ( possibly the hosts aren't educated b/c they aren't reading everything ) for sure the CS agents are not educated either.

I've had Airbnb experts say the same thing.   It's a growing company but what usually breaks down a company is growing too fast and not being able to keep up. 

I've lost money due to the system glitch and Airbnb does not want to take responsibility for it. I've had my account hacked and have proof of it, again Airbnb does not want to take responsibility. Even when on the phone they clearly see the issue.  

They are banking on the hosts letting this stuff go for the promise of making more money.  What is happening though is serious. Aside from the legal issues - or a class action- it will eat away at their business if they do not get a grip on the major infrastructure issues.   Stop blaming the hosts when clearly it is not the host.  

Stop trying to covertly get the hosts to bend over backwards to the point of creating dangerous situations and damage and accept whatever happens during guest's stay for the fear of "inconveniencing the guest".   Hotels have a better system in place than Airbnb.  Airbnb is an international company and they need to start fixing these issues.  

I would be interested in talking about this as I have been slandered & their was a gas leak while we at the unit with rags tied around the gas line.

Airbnb Hosts on FB

Yes, yes,yes, Lisa ! 

The same funny business happened to me with the smart pricing.  Unfortunately, I didn't  have the call recorded.  I noticed that it turned on out of nowhere.  In the meantime,  I also had instant booking.  I accepted a guest without a need to check the price.  I called Airbnb and was told that sometime smart pricing will automatically turn on by itself.  There nothing that can be done.  I lost out in the end.  There was no way to go back and increase the price after I accepted instant book.

I've been a host for almost like 2 years.  Lately for some reason The guest nightmares are getting the best of me.  Between the guests outright lying and demanding a refund for things that I have mentioned in my bio (i.e steep driveway, stairs to come to my front door) and things that are out of my control (i.e heavy traffic) I'm almost at my wits end with this company.

I agree. I have purposely screenshot my price calendar several times, thinking I was loosing my mind, but no.  They seem to give the guests whatever price they want, whenever they want. The guests have been horrible about staying past check out, which causes a disaster.  Guest who are called on this or extra guests then leave retaliating reviews that are completely false.  I had a guest leave a review who never stayed (booked the wrong town), then blamed it on me as of if I knew where they wanted to be.  I have spent hours on the phone dealing with stuff like this with AirBnb. I have even called to warn them of guests who have been caught checking in early, having pets not approved, having extra guests and warned them the guests are going to be called on for these things and they would probably leave a retaliating review although guests were checked on and were happy and "love the place", yada yada yada. Sure enough, if you confront guests they will leave a bad review.   I am sick of feeling like I have to put up and suck up.  I stay on the phone with AirBnb about this situation about 2 1/2 hours one day. They say the reviews are based on experience, but CS could not legally pinpoint where the experience starts or stops.  To me, the guests experience should stop at check out and if they stay past that there problem.  

Totally agree with this!  I'm dealing with a retaliating guest right now because I called them out for having a dog at our house, when we clearly state NO pets allowed.  There appears to be urine on a few of the carpets.  I'm trying to keep some of the security deposit, so we can have the carpets cleaned.  And I'm trying to get them to not allow the bogus review.  They are not support me at all.  All they seem to care about is the guest.  It's ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure we are going to figure out another way to rent our house, because this just isn't worth it anymore.  The hosts are not supported AT ALL.