drop in bookings

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

drop in bookings

We have hosted over 2 years and super hosts. Recently bookings have dropped especially compared to views. According to stats, we have had over 300 views and a booking rate of about 1.9%. What do others do? This seems low. Any insights or suggestions? Thanks! 

12 Replies 12
Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

Hi Deborah,

I noticed a big drop in bookings after I made super host. I had no bookings for Sept or October and was not even getting requests. I called Airbnb they said my listing was coming up in search e ct. Of course they suggested I use instant book which I won't use. 

My booking requests and bookings increased that day. 

I would call airbnb and tell them your bookings are down. They will not admit there was a problem but they will fix it! 

Good luck and happy hosting!

How did you actually find a phone number to call Airbnb??!??!

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I noticed a drop in August and September was slow...I still got bookings but not in advance or quick like I had been. This month I"ve had bookings but it's been last minute..plus I"m only keeping a week or two out at a time  this month. I feel there are a lot of factors in booking activity.  The biggest issue for me is competition--there are A LOT of other hosts where I live.  They all fidget with their price to the point that I can't figure out what is actually competitive to my space.  In my experience, price point is what matters to people.  Maybe fidget with your price a bit just to see if the price is shifting.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I think instant booking does make a difference. Many prospective guests prefer to omit the step of inquiry and waiting for approval. And I can’t blame them I would probably be the same when looking for a place on airbnb. But, as the other host suggested, it could be competition in your area. If that’s the case you need to do something to set your place apart. Check online, and see who else is in your area, and what their availability calendars look like.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

It is also possible that the nationwide natural disasters have affected bookings. So many people have lost everything it is bound to affect things. The US is starting the low period and as noted before many hosts are tweaking listings to try to catch new bookings. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Yuval2
Level 2
Haifa, Israel

Hi Deborah

Notice that if there are lots of other hosts in your area, so when the guests look for a place to stay, the Airbnb app automaticlly filter for them only the "instant booking" places. If they don't notice it they won't take it off and won't even see your place.

That the resone why I started the "Instant booking" (Airbnb do it because they want host to have the instant booking....). You still have in it the option not let anyone do it but just guests with good reviews that been recommended by other hosts.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Deborah1, I think it's just that there are a lot of listings which come up when you put in "Beaufort SC". I got 17 pages of over 300 listings but some as far as Hilton Head.  Your listing did come up on the first page when I set the price to under $132 - you were in the first or second row for several combos of dates I randomly chose in December. Your photos are great and your price is very reasonable!  I don't know what to tell you other than that there is a lot of competition, it seems.... Lovely area, I think I need to visit! 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Deborah1 I believe the competition has increase rapidly in the last 2years on Airbnb. I would advice you to edit your listing name and change your main display photo. You have a beautiful house put it on the front page instead of the bedroom! As they say a photo is worth a 1000 words. Updating your profile and listing regularly will help you be on the top ranks. Also change your price depending on demand. Dont keep a fix pricing for the whole year. Good luck and happy hosting!!!

Gary53
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

They recently change the pricing to include all fees such as Cleaning in the price lookup page !  I completed about it today they should leave the nightly book as we price it and keep the other fees out! The client sees the breakdown on the next page and have a choice it they want to book!   

We need to send Airbnb or call and compliant to they to bring back the price we post and separate additional charges!!

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

I've noticed a slightly different suspicious activity from Airbnb.  Periodically I get emails from ABB telling me they noticed that I haven't checked my calendar lately and I need to show it some love (literally).  I sigh, thinking why do I need to check in with my calendar when I have a guest staying for three months - I'm booked for the next two months?  I check anyway in order to keep ABB happy.  Within about an hour usually of having shown my calendar some love I get an inquiry for future reservation.  Seems more than a coincidence to me.  

Peter3584
Level 1
Kenmore, WA

I think the biggest issue I've noticed is the much higher cleaning bills from a few years ago. When I look at airbnb's these days its not any cheaper than staying at a hotel and the hotel doesn't expect me to clean half the place afterwords either.