exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180

For example, we have a baby, and my wife needs to go to her conference hotel and back to our would-be apartment in anytime she could find a potential time. So, the exact location is a necessity for us.

Tell the host which hotel it is and ask how many miles/km away they live.

Use a reputable agent to source an apartment .???

As a guest and frequent user of Airbnb - wanting to know the exact address helps us determine if the host is being accurate in their description as well.  We have had some doozies!!  

Not true - my wife walks with a rollator and we need to know the precise access roads - so we need to know the precise address so that we can study its suitability on Google street view for example.  In addition we are trying to book a place to attend a wedding on the same villiage and we want to know what distance the host place is to our party venue.  Human lives are much too complex for you to try to second guess all the special needs of all the members of bnb. Its a failure and a non-transparent aspect of the system.

Go to  a hotel and that should allay any fears 

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

@Jeffrey0, the transparency you talk of should also extend to hosts having full details with photograph of guests coming to stay in their homes.

I am not a host, and I really would like to know the exact location. At least main intersections. 

That help a lot for your plan as a tourist.

Sorry, you are thinking as a host and service providers must be empathic with customers.

I always have people confused about my exact location--where exactly on AIRBNB is that automatic message they receive after booking, so I can see if it is descriptive enough?  I can't find it anywhere????

When I listed my home information as a host, I entered the exact address and next to this information, there was a statement from Airbnb that the exact location would not be revealed until a guest booked. After a guest books my home, they can view their itinerary which contains the exact address of my home, but not on a map. It's just the exact address. They can then find it on google maps, etc

My guests have been confused too about where to find this mythical message.  

Now I send them a detailed message 2 or 3 days before they arrive with my address, directions from the nearest main road, and my cell number.  I ask them to call me if they are lost.  I sometimes have to walk out to the street and look for them! and it just turns into a joke.

If they arrive by bus I go up and meet them.

They all appreciate this and it gets us off to a good start.

Eden32
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

It's under 'Guest Resources' but in the airbnb messaging you can also send them these yourself. Below the text box are icons for keys, photos, etc.

Yes well, if you go straight to the airport from that place it is important. 

I was just asked to reveal the exact address and this post was very helpful.

Thank you!

Actually this is a big problem. My daughter books airbnb because she commutes to college 4 days a week without a car, so without knowing how far can be a walk of a couple of miles or more. Basing vague locations on assuming everyone is driving isn't fair.