exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cindy628  One reason hosts may be reluctant to give exact location and check-in details like key codes until a few days before check-in is that they may have had guests cancel a few days prior to check-in before. If the guest already knows the exact address and how to get in, it could pose a security risk for the host, as well as future guests. While you and most guests are no doubt respectable people, not everyone is. Hosts have reported people who cancelled showing up and robbing the place when no one is there.

That said, I'm someone who likes to have all the info for their travel plans in order, I get stressed about last minute stuff, so I do understand where you're coming from.

Cindy628
Level 1
Conifer, CO

Yep totally understand the key code - have never received check in info until 12-24 hours - that makes sense - but if AirBnB is changing their policy about reveling exact locations after booking - then they need to remove from their website - I like you, when I don’t have a car, want to make sure I can walk to where I need to go and see the surroundings and make sure I’m not staying in the middle of a dump site - and if so, to be able to cancel within the 48 hours.

@Cindy628  Well, I know there are some dishonest hosts out there who would portray their property and the area in a positive light without mentioning the warts. But I think most hosts will be honest, as if they aren't it will reflect in bad reviews. I think a guest's best guide to the surroundings is to read past reviews, as if it's noisy or a sketchy area, guests will address that in the review. The host is really the best source of information as to their place and the location. You wouldn't know from a Google street view, for instance, if there is some recent construction project going on across the street or down the block that would turn what appears to be a quiet, suburban street into a noisy place with heavy machinery driving back and forth all day, or a construction crew that will cat call you every time you walk by. And all you have to do is ask a host how far exactly it is to places you'll be wanting to go. A host would know if some street is currently blocked off because they're working on the sewer lines, meaning you might have to walk an extra 3 blocks around to get to where you are going. You wouldn't know that from a Google map.

But I agree that Airbnb information should match what is actually reality- they are constantly changing things without making sure that the corresponding information on the site matches up. There are many articles in the Help section, for instance, that are outdated, directing users to click on this or that, when in fact those procedures have been altered and no longer work as described.

All other property types provide exact location.  People are accustomed to this when booking accommodations for travel.  When attending an event or going to a particular venue, exact location can be quite important especially if walking or public transportation (due to parking issues etc.) will be the primary mode of transport.  Descriptions such as "Fairview neighborhood" or "near downtown" simply aren't helpful because they are difficult or impossible to find on a map and/or are too subjective.  Not enough information regarding location can prevent a listing from getting bookings in plenty of scenarios.

I still say that Air B n B has an ethos.WE are not professional run hotels and our privacy must be respected

Go to a hotel !!

@Margaret615  Airbnbs are private homes. We don't have security staff like hotels and event venues. if  guest wants to have more precise information about the location, all they need to do is ask. They don't need the exact address ahead of time.

And opinions from people who just joined, have no profile information, and no reviews and who hide behind a grey silouette instead of a profile photo don't carry much weight.

My comment was in response to the initial commenter's post which explored why a traveler might want/need exact location (s/he seemed overly surprised that a consumer would need details about location).  It was also a comment on the marketability of airbnb properties when compared to other choices (hotel, bed & breakfast, or other competitor).  My post was not a comment on safety.  But since it was brought to my attention again, I will say that is seems (albeit from a somewhat cursory glance) that exact location seems to be a valid and important piece of information for many in the conversation.  Therefore, I think it would be beneficial for commenters (perhaps especially for those at upper levels) to speak much more specifically about why safety is an issue rather than continue to discuss safety as some universally understood paramount concern.  Perhaps, additionally, a discussion of whether or not general vicinity and exterior pictures would provide enough information for someone with malicious intentions anyway.   Another thought would be to answer the original question of whether it is permitted by airbnb policy to list exact address, which I'm not sure was actually provided but might end the conversation!

I have never been a traveller on Air B n B but as far as I am aware when a guests books and the contract is made the address,email and phone number is reavealed to host and traveller alike

When this happens I log my client to be telephone number and send them a welcome Whatsapp with an EXACT location courtesy of google and also nvite them to keep in contact should they have further questions

If the arrival date is more than 5 days they can cancel if they dont like the look of the location as my cancellation fees are moderate

Jen4862
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

There are way too may hosts hiding under the airbnb no-reveal address policy to list sub-standard accommodation and charge a premium and/ or list property that is banned from airbnb hosting.

As someone who is very particularly about the internal and external aesthetics and cleanliness of where I stay, I have been quite disappointed a number of times which makes me anxious about booking properties with strict cancellations as the address is not available. Many hosts are insincere in the description of their properties, including the distance to landmarks when asked; walk time is relative and distance is dependent on the route for the relevant mode of transport.

It's unfair to guests to have to pay for a potential disaster and lose their money, which could be a lot for those of us who exclusively look for entire place rather than shared homes.

I go for a hotel instead where I can't find something I like with flexible or moderate cancellation policy. Needless to say, I often opt for a hotel over airbnb.

The street name at least would be helpful which some hosts have graciously provided me before booking.

A criminal who is intent on robbing a property after seeing all the "loot" on display in the photos provided, would have no problem paying a relatively small price to get the address; so hiding the address isn't exactly a foolproof deterrent.

Mariska9
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I have booked a room via Airbnb months ago and money was taken out off my credicard. Since asking twice the host still provided no address. She points to a famous building where nobody can stay because it is a museum. The location is important due to a specific festival that I want to visit. This feels like a scam, at least airbnb should check address and ownership behind the scenes to make sure customers are not subjected to fraud. Airbnb is a platform with a service that should be safe for all and not only with the safety of hosts in mind. 

The money has been taken by Air B nB so take it up with them

The hosts receive no money till 12 hours after your check in

If you have a problem your financial contract is with Air and if you are within the cancellation time scale. ..cancel the booking with no penalties 

If you have penalties then go to Air and they have a resolution centre 

If the prpoetry is near a landmark then you should be able to see on Google Earth but quite honestly if your are worried speak to air and find done where else to stay

There is no fraud with your host as they don't hold any monies 

You all have to remember it is technological impossible for host or guest to reveal details and numbers until booking is paid for to Air

The algorithms do not allow it and hide any effort to disclose by any of the parties as the only means of communication prior to booking is via a dedicated Air email

The hist cannot see any details even if you try to reveal until DEAL IS DONE WITH AIR

HOSTS ARE PAID ABOUT 13 TO 25 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL IOF GUESTS 

Annie1110
Level 1
Redmond, OR

Interesting topic.

Aaron221
Level 2
Lancaster, United Kingdom

This is an old thread but here are my 2 cents...

I'm a Software Engineer and I would not recommend either you or Airbnb share your address. 

Airbnb should not list the address on the website because it is easy to download every address and calendar. 

The host should not share the address because generated messages can be sent to many hosts to obtain addresses. 

How to you solve for a beautiful property with closely cropped pictures to get there and find the property is in a very dangerous part of town? I assumed the location was nice because of the pictures, it was literally a magazine quality home in a neighborhood with bars on the windows