exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

It's best not to reveal your exact address/location before a booking is made, to avoid potential problems, or in some case, scams.  (If guests are demanding about this, one might give thought to the other ways that this guest might prove to be demanding.! ) Just tell the guest that the exact address will be given to them after they complete a booking. Many guests are new to using Airbnb and dont' understand how it works -- it can help for hosts to educate them a little about how the system works and how address and contact information is not exchanged until AFTER a reservation is booked.  

I always wonder why some guests feel a need to know the "EXACT address" in advance-- and that is the phrase they often use (those few who ask about this) .   For what purpose, I wonder?   If you think about it, it really is not necessary for someone to know your EXACT address before they book -- really all they need to know, for purposes of planning their trip and transportation plans, as well as to assess safety of your area, is your general vincinity, which is already given to them on the map.  If they know where you are within a  couple blocks or a few blocks, that is really all they need. 

Monica9
Level 2
Hunedoara County, Romania

I had to exact problem ...

I copy paste the message :   I want to stay but i wondering why don't you tell me where is your place exactly. This is first time that host doesn't tell me full address. So i'm really confused. I will reserve after you tell me exactly and find in (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) map. You know what i am saying?? 🙂

Hi, 

This message is a scam I think. I received exactly the same today: 

"I want to stay but i wondering why don't you tell me where is your place exactly. This is first time that host doesn't tell me full address. So i'm really confused. I will reserve after you tell me exactly and find in map."

I think I will report the user.

Hi,  I ended up on this thread becuase I was looking at booking high rise condo unit in Denver.  They said it had a hot tub but it had no pictures.  My first reaction was to just look at google maps so I could see an aerial where I could zoom in and get an idea of the pool/Hot tub area myself but of course I had no idea which building it was because I couldn't get an adress.  It was king of annoying to be honest.  Do you have any idea what the scam is attempting to accomplish by obtaining the address of a booking before actually booking.  I'm not sure I understand why that is dangerous to give or what people are doing with the info.  If you are all getting the same message word for word it's obvious there is something going on but do you have any idea what their goal is?  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why not just ask them to upload photos of said pool/hot tub. It would seem unbelievable that the host wouldn't take photos of such a key amenity.

Not sure which you don't understand why it can be dangerous to give out your address - it gives potential burglars and others with ill intentions details of a property which lies empty some of the time and therefore is a good place for them to break into or use for illicit purposes.

@Eric985  As Helen said, it can be a mark for thieves and not only when the property is empty, but also when guests are there. There is a lot of thievery where I live- pretty common in a Mexican tourist town. Thieves scout properties which they know are rentals, then stake the place out waiting for the newly arrived guests to go out for dinner or to the beach, then break in. They know tourists are likely to have money, devices, jewelry. In some cases the guests walk off without locking doors and windows as instructed (all blissed out on vacation in paradise) so the thieves don't even have to go to any trouble to get in. So not only is an early location revealing a security issue for hosts, it also is for guests.

Also, guests who are given exact location may try to just drive by, and approach the host with a "private" deal, i.e. bypassing Airbnb.

I think if you feel you need to know the area, most hosts would give you the cross streets, which should tell you what you ned to know.  And if you need to know if it's close to places you want to visit, just message the host to ask how close it is to XXX.

Mr guest - I appreciate your request but AirBnB (nor I) release an exact address until a booking is made for leagal reasons.  If that is unacceptable to you, may I recommend a hotel in the area?

in our case, the area of the city is questionable. Parts are ok, others are not. Our son lives in the city that we want to book a house in. And without knowing the exact address, he tells us we cannot determine if it is a safe neighborhood or not. So, in this case, we have to pass on the house we would like to book since we cannot get the address to be sure it is in a safe area.

this is not being demanding, it is being safe and practical.

@Paula121

On my listing it shows the general area of the treehouse, but not the exact address.  Evidently knowing the general area is not good enough for you?  I don't think any AirBnB host is going to give you their address BEFORE you make a booking.  But good luck finding one that will.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

"Coming soon to a bookstore near you: The Quotable Host by Mike" -- @Sandra
"Guests neither scare nor intrigue me--and I'm ALL about the money!" -- @C C

==============================
Here are your AirBnB phone numbers.
==============================
Argentina: +54 11 53 52 78 88
Australia: +61 2 8520 3333
Austria / Österreich: +43 72 08 83 800
Brazil / Brasil: +55 21 3958-5800
Canada: +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)
Chile: +56 229380777
China / Zhongguo - 中國 / 中国: +86 10 5904 5310 or 400 890 0309 (shared-cost)
Denmark / Danmark: +45 89 88 20 00
France: +33 1 84 88 40 00
Germany / Deutschland: +49 30 30 80 83 80
Greece / ελλάδα: +30 211 1989888
Hong Kong / Xianggang - 香港: +852 5808 8888
Ireland: +353 1 697 1831
Israel / Yisrael: +972 3 939 9977
Italy / Italia: +39 06 99366533
Japan / Nippon - 日本: +81 3 4580 0999 or +81 800 100 1008 (toll-free)
Mexico / Méjico: +52 55 41 70 43 33
Netherlands / Nederland: +31 20 52 22 333
New Zealand / Aotearoa: +64 4 4880 888
Norway / Norge: +47 21 61 16 88
Peru: +51 1 7089777
Poland / Polska: +48 22 30 72 000
Portugal: +351 30 880 3888
Puerto Rico: +1 787 919-0880
Russia / Rossiya - Россия: +7 4954658090 or 88003017104 (toll-free)
South Korea / Hanguk - 한국: +82 2 6022 2499 or +82 808 220 230 (toll-free)
Spain / España: +34 91 123 45 67
Sweden / Sverige: +46 844 68 12 34
Switzerland / Schweiz / Suisse: +41 43 50 84 900
United Kingdom: +44 203 318 1111
United States (USA) / Estados Unidos de América (EEUU): +1-415-800-5959 (local San Francisco number) or +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

trying to book a 2 month stay in Merida, Mexico and given there are no zoning rules there, one can end up with a 2 month stay that is next to a bar or a turkey farm.

I ask because I care to know in which neighborhood I'll stay in espacilly that I travel with family! Also Airbnb location map isnt always accurate many times some host told me the location shows in map isnt the location for the apartment (airbnb map shift it) that what they say! I think its my right to know where exactly I'll be staying before paying just like any other website! and this one thing I dislike about airbnb! 

Its for the security of host

People who have not confirmed turn up on your doorstep !!  At all hours

What if I paid the first part of the trip? I was given the choice to pay all of it or a portion so we paid a portion. Will we get the address after paying the rest of it? Asking cuz this is my first time booking thru airbnb and we are going to Destin FL

I agree Elaine in Spain. I host and the map shows the area and someone can see what the town is like on google for example.  At this very moment am on here as I have a guy who was meant to be staying with me for a week from tonight but hasnt booked.  I am worried he might just turn up thinking he has!  I preapproved but he never booked.  So glad I have not given my address in advance and the map doesnt show the street.