exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180

Pamela - pease tell your daughter to explain to the host that she will be walking and ask exactly how many miles.  The host can check on google maps - I've done this many times for guests. ( sorry it won't let me tag you)

Ask the host to give you walking tine and any transport links...you don't need to know their private address 

Guests want to know where they're staying. For instance, is your house on a busy street or a quite street? Is the street lined with trees or commercial buildings and traffic? When doling out hundreds of dollars to stay somewhere guests like to know where that "where" is.  Motels and Hotels don't keep their locations secret; they have that much going for them. The need for host's security is perfectly understandable! It's a conundrum though, because guests like to know the lay of the land. On the Airbnb site the house location is now a mystery point within a large lavender circle on a map.

I realise that this is an old thread but I wanted to add a comment seeing as this is the first thread to pop up in a search. For those who are elderly, suffering from serious illness, or otherwise lacking in personal mobility, those "few blocks" can make all the difference. That's why people close to me want to know the exact location. Thanks.

Very simple: in fairly small areas there are nice streets and really bad ones. knowing where the property is exactly is of immense value

I like to plan my trip and based on the location of my B&B, it plays a major role. By not giving the location it make is hard untill one books and then I have to cancle. thats bull**bleep**.

As a potential guest, I am also waiting to get the EXACT address, a couple of days after I completed the reservation.

The psychology of wanting to know this, is that you are nervous about being 10000 km away from home, and not knowing where to go.

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

@Gerard0 Equally Hosts are nervous about accepting a complete stranger with no photo into their home.

please provide the exact address as airbnb is illegal in LA  and no apartment community allows airbnb  so let us know that address so we can have them evicted as soon as possible 

Yes @Timothy156

I will definitely take legal advice from a face-blocked stranger who provides no ID.

The general vacinity is a wide area and the difference can mean 20 minute walk to the metro vs 5 minute walk.  Also due to specified area gentrification one section of a "vacinity" can be quite safe whereas an area 5 minutes away can be very dangerous. People are concerned about the logistics of their trips as well as the safety of the neighborhood they will be in. 

People should know where they're staying before they sign up. A few blocks this way and that can make a tremendous difference in some areas. I've rented places in California where the circle on the airbnb map encompassed locations adjacent to the beach and adjacent to a major thoroughfare.

What don't you understand about people wanting to know what they're purchasing? That's the way all businesses work, so I think you should tamp down your anger and disrespect -- and the attendant usage of all-caps.

BTW, are you interested in purchasing my house? Sorry, I can't give you the EXACT address ...

Please.

Cultural differences I think...there is a lot of difference in spending 500.000 euros on a house and 50 bucks on a room for the night..not worth putting my address out for the world to know

isWhy would i want to stay somewhere without knowing exactly where it is. A mile in London is a big difference!!!!!!

Postcodes and Google? ??

Hosts should not have to reveal exact location to unconfirmed people ...it's a security  hazard and invasion