exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As a potential guest, one has the ability to message the host prior to booking to determine where their listing is in relation to town center or wherever you will be wanting to go, as well as if it is on a busy noisy street, etc. It is not necessary to know the exact address, which is a security issue for the host. 

Guests need to take some responsibility for their booking decisions without possibly endangering the host.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests must be reminded to ask questions via the Send a Message and not ever ask the exact address.

I've had a couple of Guests ask what the distance was from my home to where they had to go to so used Google directions & was able to give approximate walking & driving distance.

It's a good idea to screenshot a map of your area with maps / public transport stops in one's vicinity - if public transport is available as that helps with planning.

To those asking for an exact location, do you freely give your own home address to random strangers you meet on the street?

Didn't think so, Airbnb Hosts shouldn't be asked such things til it's booked.

Shirley166
Level 1
Mentor, OH

Being this is my first time booking I don't have any experience to compare to, but I was surprised when I looked up the address on my reservation and found it was an Urgent Care facility. When I asked the host she explained that she did not feel confortable providing the real address until closer to check in date. I do understand and respect her concern. I'm a female who often travels alone so I too am concerned about my safety and security. In this particular reservation, I would have preferred to be provided with the address and hold the apartment number. 

Bob141
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

From what I understand, a host can check a potential guest's profile and previous reviews.  Can a host also determine how many times a potential guest has used AirBnB?  If so, I would think that this info would be sufficeint to establish that the guest is a legit user of AirBnb as opposed to someone with ulterior motives.   

It seems pefectly understandable that a guest would want to know the exact location before booking, especially for multiple nights.    I would think, that knowing that a potential guest is a legit user, should ease concerns about revealing the address.   

Being a guest can be very awkward.  I always end up feeling wierd about spending to much time at the host's home or using the common areas.  But a nice location in a suburban area that allows me to open windows at night and not to worry about my car and its contents, gives AirBnB an edge over budget hotels.  But, if I can't satisfy my concerns about the host's location by checking google street view etc, I'll go with the devil I know...the budget hotel.

Prach0
Level 1
Stanford, CA

Barbara992
Level 1
Chesterfield, MO

I have made a bnb reservation and received payment but still don’t have a response to my request for the address. Now I’m wondering about it. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Barbara992 AIrBnB sends an email 3 days before check in with the address, plus it's located in your AirBnB message area also under your reservation on the left hand side. . 

Steve529
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Sometimes I am renting for a long time and don't want to commit to the money without seeing what the place looks like from the street.  Many times the host will only post interior pictures so it's hard to get a sense of what the block/neighborhood looks like.  I rented a place once and it looked like a good neighborhood, but it turned out that it was next door to a liquor store with people hanging around in the parking lot that was right beside my entrance.  It was very unpleasant.  I can see not posting the address in the listing but nearly everyone I have contacted was willing to tell me after a few back and forth messages.  If they won't give it to me, after my previous experience, I just assume there's something unattractive about the building or location and get something else.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Never ever assume anything Steve, it can make a donkey out of one.

There's all manner of reasons why addresses are not given out including the way Airbnb has it's Terms of Service.

Having said that I'm renting myself & whenever I've looked for a property always check out Google maps & the street name to see what's in the near area & who my neighbours may be.

The most important thing is to be hosted by kind, caring people, it's not like one can pick up one's home & move it, can we?

Happy travels & if you're ever thinking about coming to Auckland you're welcome to pop in for a visit.

Cheers

So this is my first time booking with air bnb my ex boyfriend actually booked it with his credit card but the email confirmation was sent to my email he said I could still use the place so didn’t cancel it however when we booked we didn’t have an air bnb account I have created an account and spoke with the host but I still didn’t get an address for the place she just told me she will give me the code ...I guess my question is when will I get the address for my trip? Everything is already paid for

Ii give my guests my exact location by google map which I send by Whatsapp as soon as they have paid

Air and the booking is confirmed to me

I am happy to explain my location by road number and there is info in my pages

Its fo security for me...I live alone

Often the map provide is misleading as to the actual location. 

El-Centro0
Level 1
Washington, DC

The google map provided gives you a general sense of where the house is located but often the municipality may be called for Example Costa del Sol, but the town is called La Herradura.  Which is actually about 45 minutes from what we thought was a beach house on the actual "Costa del Sol beach".

Reuben16
Level 2
United Kingdom

I don’t see the problem, when you book a hotel you knkw exactly where it is. It’s convenient to know the address because you might be going to an event close by, obviously  your going to want to if the place you are booking is easy to get to from where you are goin. Plus it’s just good to know how long it’s gonna take to get to the place  you have booked anyway you may wanna compare a few properties to see which is closest or has the most amenities. It’s no good booking only to find out after when you have paid that it’s not a ideal location.

Stick with hotels. ..or strike up a dialogue with host and most are happy to answer your questions