exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180

Sure.  And a hotel has people at the front desk 24/7 and most have on premise security.  If you want an experience like a hotel...stay in a hotel.

Margo57
Level 1
Asheville, NC

whatever happened to location, location, location!  i want to know where i'm staying BEFORE i book it, not after.  i'm renting a place out of town and i thought it was a quiet neighborhood, but after i book, i find out it's on the busiest street around.  there is NO WAY I would have booked that place if i'd known.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh Margo, it pays you send a msg to potential hosts prior to booking and ask if that info is not in the listing.

Most unfortunate you have had such an experience, however look on it positively and if you are still there ask the host if they can mention in there listing to let others know.

Does there listing mention been close to public transport?

If so that may sometimes be a hint about been noisy with traffic.

All the best for the rest of your stay.

The host can easily describe things like "A 2 minute walk to X brewery, only a 10 minute drive to the Biltmore house, easy walk to Beaver Lake" as part of their listing.  A good host will do this and much more - quiet neighboorhood, etc.  This would tell you a lot. As a host, there is no way that I would give potential guests my address. I can't imagine giving everyone that makes an inquiry where my house is, since it's an entire home and we don't live there.  All they have to do is look for an empty slot on the calendar and show up and rob the place.

Is it normal for host to refuse to give adress til 3 days before arriving? I have paid in full.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes. If they won't give it to you. Then call Airbnb and express your concerns.

Guests normally get the full address on booking.

Check in details  normally a day or so before check in.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Catherine1228  Your confirmation should have had the exact address on it. If it did not I would contact AirBnB as @Helen3 suggests. I give out my codes and check in details 3 days in advance, but they get the address immediately on booking. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Bob141
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

If a guest has used Air BnB in the past, there will often be reviews of the guest's behaviour.  If there is plenty of positive history and reviews, the hosts should be comfortable that the potential guest is not scheming to rob their home.  If there is no history, I can understand the reluctance.   

Surely hosts and Air BnB can understand that guest would want to check out location via google maps before paying. 

Donald106
Level 1
Tamarac, FL

Well, I'm a potential booker. I'm older and want to know at least a close landmark so I can find out if there is a supermarket, some restaurants nearby as I can't walk long distances. I don't need an exact address but it does annoy me that information is so hard to get.

@Donald106It's always helpful to look at a map of the area - most places at least list a suburb name in there Listing where they are, that said not all Hosts are always honest as to where the property is listed - it never ceases to amaze me the ones claiming to be in my suburb, a more expensive location, but are in fact a suburb or two away..

Yes, I understand security. I know that the policy is so that people won't know an exact address that is empty and ripe for robbery. Yes, I get it. But even boundary streets or a major landmark are very important to me and define my booking. If the host won't give me that then I move on.

What a load of rubbish! Hotels show their exact address, so that’s where we’ll be staying! Airbnb you are a joke!

@David4110  Yes, hotels show their exact address because they are hotels, not private homes. Hotels have 24 hour reception and security staff, Airbnbs don't. It's good that someone with your non-understanding attitude is choosing to stay in a hotel, not a private home.

Cindy628
Level 1
Conifer, CO

So I have rented and paid for a property - and the host told me that AirBnB does not release the exact location until a week prior to arrival - I find this untrue as I have rented tons of places, and once my payment has been taken, the actual address comes up on the reservation.    I inquired again to the renter and they said it was AirBnB policy - even though AirBnB states right there exact location to be displayed after booking.    I wrote to AirBnB 6 hours ago about this and they have not gotten back to me - any ideas???  I have a 1/2 dozen rentals over the next 8 months and I have exact locations on each rental - signed perplexed 🤔 

I am a host in Europe. The policy is that you can decide if you want to publish your address

I have a google map on my pages with an approximate location and a good description of roads and distances. When the traveller pays all the money, the exact address and telephone and email is released

I confirm the booking and send an exact pin drop to their Whatsapp

We are then in touch with each other with the added communication of Air B n B page too.Nearly hundred percent of my guests have Whatsapp or someone in the group does. Its great for maps and photos and its FREE