extend stay for no charge

Darla31
Level 2
Sturgis, SD

extend stay for no charge

My listing is for the entire home, I was contacted by an individual that only wanted to rent a room - after negotiations I sent her an offer for one bedroom, and a set amount to cover 20 calendar days, with 2 nights credited as she was leaving Wednesday before Thanksgiving, returning Friday.  She sent me a personal text yesterday (Saturday) asking to extend her stay 3 days for no charge because she is now unable to travel because of  winter weather.  I don't believe I should because I am not in control of the weather, and she had opportunity to travel and apparently decided to stay longer.  She says I told her that I wouldn't charge her for the nights she wasn't there, I replied that the special offer clearly gave credit for the 2 nights  she had told me about. . .

She also tells me she is stranded and cannot afford to pay for 2 places to stay, which I later found out coincidentally, she is staying with a friend of mine.  She sent me a photo of her car covered in snow, and I was able to recognize the location.   I don't want this matter to be reflected on my ratings, any ideas?

4 Replies 4
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

@Darla31  Is it a real blizzard? Do you believe she is really stranded? Is she at the tail end, beginning or middle of her stay? I think all this would affect my decision.  Also, I would move communication off the text messages and onto the Airbnb App.

I don't think there should be an expectation to stay somewhere for free, but maybe the rate could be adjusted to take into consideration her circumstances.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Darla31 Sounds to me like you already went out of your way to make special arrangements for this person.  She has an entire house to herself while only being charged for one room.  And now wants more, more, more.  You have no control over the weather.  Her problem, not yours.  And I agree with Ann, keep all communications on the Airbnb app. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Darla31  I'd think you want to get her out ASAP before she claims to be a tenant and has to be evicted.  You also should document all the facts of the situation on the airbnb system, and be prepared for a bad review no matter what.  This person is an irresponsible scammer.

Darla31
Level 2
Sturgis, SD

Thank you for the feedback - she did check out early and left.  Next question, do I have to write a review?