extending reservations but not paid

extending reservations but not paid

I had a guest in February ask to extend her reservation by one night due to icy weather.  I agreed to the extension.  The payout for her original stay had already been made and Airbnb did not collect or remit to me the additional money for the extra night.  I have contacted the resolution center twice now and been given the automated message that I can expect to receive an answer within 24 hours only to find out that my request has been closed.  I am very frustrated as it's impossible to get an answer.  It's not that this is a lot of money , but this is not the first time it has happened.  And to simply be dismissed by Airbnb is even more frustrating.  I do my best to be a great host and have remained a Superhost for nearly 2 years now but this makes me not want to extend a guest's reservation if I'm not going to get paid for the extra nights.  Has anyone else experienced this and how did you get it resolved?? thanks! 

12 Replies 12
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Kristi16, if you etend a stay, one side has to send an alteration request and the other side has to accept it. Best is, you send the request with the guest beside you, check if the number of days is changed and if the price changed as well. If it did not, change the price manually, then send and have the guest confrim it immediately on their phone. 

If you did not do that, you could just send a resolution request after you realise it and then it's up to the guest to confirm or refuse. If they are already gone, refuse the request and you do not have the discussion in the thread, you have low chances to get this money. 

I hope this helps. If I misunderstood and you did not get paid even though you changed the reservation, that would not be good. 

Hi Helga,

Yes, we went through the proper procedure - the guest submitted a request to alter the reservation and I accepted - it showed the new price but, the original price had already been paid out - Airbnb did not collect the difference in price or pay me the new price.

Did you have to pass by the resolution center then? It looks more like a problem customer service or accounting department should solve. Did the new price show in the Transaction History?

The new price showed in the transaction history - but that isn't the amount I was paid - I only received the amount of the original reservation.  I tried 3 different times to collect the remainder - I first went to the resolution center and requested money from the guest.  The request expired and nothing happened. Then I went back to the resolution center and explained what happened and that it was an Airbnb error,  not something the guest did wrong.  I never received a response and the request was closed in a couple of days.  I went back to the resolution center again and tried again - nothing - no response from Airbnb whatsoever and they closed the request again. 

@Kristi16Have you tried contacting them on Twitter @airbnbhelp? I've found you get good service there. 

Failing that, are you calling the Superhost number?

thanks for the tip, Alexandra! I didn't know there is a Superhost number.

Yes!  Call the SuperHost number!  I get excellent and immediate  service that way...

where do I find this Superhost number? thanks!

@Kristi16, I hope you resolved the matter by calling, as everyone suggests. 

The resolution request asked it from the guest and if the new amount showed in the transaction, he already paid it. Of course he did not want to pay a second time. 

Sometimes,smaller amounts are added to the next payout - did you check that?

Kristi,  

Since the requested additional one night stay by the guest was due to emergency conditions, I would consider allowing the guest to stay the additional evening without charge.  This act of kindness and goodwill doesn't cost you anything and will encourage the guest to write nice things about you and will hopefully return to you for a future multi-night visit.  B. Batts, Sarasota, FL

Jeremy186
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I have been having this issue as well.  It seems that they are not charging on the extension.  It has now happened four times and AirBnB has not made it right.  They are still showing as pending payments.  I've gotten to the point that I am not accepting alterations and requiring a new reservation rather than the extension option.  This never use to be issue but has been happening more often.  To me, I am relying on AirBnB to collect payment and to properly tell me if it is collected or not.  Once it says it is Accepted or confirmed, they should absorb the collection risk rather than me because they are the third party provider of the payment collection.  However, I am paying the price when they don't collect.  

Same issue! I was told that I could take it out of their deposit.