first time host - question about Instant Book and favorable ratings

Julian1176
Level 2
Colorado, United States

first time host - question about Instant Book and favorable ratings

Hi,

this is our first time hosting - we just set up the listing a few days ago. and haven't had a guest yet.

We have "Instant Book" on along with the setting that requires favorable ratings.

We got a "new event" in my inbox today. it appears that a person has started the process to make a reservation but the site says "awaiting verification"

I clicked on the person's profile and they have only one review and it is not at all favorable.

was not able to see a ratings number for this person - does airbnb even provide a number? it was not clear from the interface.

Can someone shed more light on what "awaiting verification" means? is it because of their rating/review?

would love someone's insight on this.

thanks!

Julian.

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Julian1176 Awaiting Verification means just that - The guest has to verify who they are to Airbnb. I don't think anyone knows how unfavourable a review needs to be before it doesn't get past the 'requires favourable rating' gate. Some say a 1 star review is needed!

One benefit of Instant Book is that you can cancel the reservation if you are not comfortable with it. I suggest you read Airbnb help to find out how.

@Mike-And-Jane0  thanks for your response.  It helps to know that the “favorability” gate is not really black or white.

I’ve read up on the cancellation policy... I was concerned because at the time I got the message from Airbnb, I didn’t really have to option to decline or approve... because it was not officially a reservation request (since it was still “awaiting verification”).  Since then it has become an actual request and I have declined it. 

thanks again!

@Julian1176 If the booking hasn't been confirmed yet, I think you still have a chance to decline it. I don't know what's going on with the ratings display, but the text of the review is what's most relevant to your decision. 

Thanks @Anonymous . It was not an official reservation request when I got that first message. And I did not have the option to decline. 
but it recently became an actual request and I declined it. 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Julian1176  Try to spend a day reading the real rules of airbnb. What exactly is the "check" associated with the requirements you have set for your guest - see the settings.
Think about the portrait of the guest you want to attract, and please remember that guests without feedback are sometimes the best, this is not an indicator.😉

Julian1176
Level 2
Colorado, United States

Thanks @Anna9170 .

I’m not sure what you mean by the “real” rules of Airbnb... I think I looked up the settings and everything Airbnb has to say about it. But maybe I missed it? 

totally understand that guests without feedback may sometimes be the best... but we’re just not comfortable to go there yet.

In this particular case, the guest did have a feedback/review from someone... and it was not good

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Julian1176  I meant that there are the basic requirements of airbnb for a guest, and they are always the default.
Next is your personal choice. A photo in the guest profile or positive feedback from previous trips of a guest... The check can be related to any of these requirements.
And in principle they are all not so important).

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Julian1176 Having had a nose at your listing I have a few observations if I may.

1) It looks a bit stark. You ideally need more furniture and possibly some ornaments and more pictures on the walls.

2) The airbed with chairs for bedside tables would put me off. Facebook marketplace and/or garage sales could find you some proper furniture for this room at no great expense.

Good luck with your new venture.

@Mike-And-Jane0, thanks for your feedback and we really appreciate it. 

your points make sense, and we're gonna work on that!