fraud listing!!

Cb-One0
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

fraud listing!!

Hi everyone, we found a listing on Airbnb that has copied our identity, even the exact name. These people are now advertising rooms that they don't have and get people to pay outside of Airbnb. How they do it? I have now idea. But we have proof of it because a week ago a lady contacted us directly and asked us about the reservation that she made with "us". We had to tell her that unfortunately she become the victim of a fraudulent listing and that there is no booking with us. We have reported this to Airbnb. But the fraud listing is still active and we got no feedback whatsoever!! Has anyone experienced this in the past and if yes, what did you do about it? Thanks, Karin

13 Replies 13
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Cb-One0, contact AirBnB once more. Flag the listing and report it again.  

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165

You can reach them as well via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Also, on any guest reservation itinerary is an AirBnB phone number.

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

More essential reading for hosts.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Cb-One0 It's not uncommon for scammers to hijack compromised accounts to set up phony listings where they request payment outside of Airbnb.  I've flagged approximately 160 of them so far.  Was your profile listed as the host on the fake listing?

Since you have already contacted Airbnb, I assume they informed you on re-checking your Account Settings and changing your password, right? Especially important is to check the Log in Notification box under Security so you will know if someone logs into your account from a device you don't use. 

It takes a day or two for Airbnb to remove scam listings.  I keep a record of the ones I've flagged so I can follow up and be sure they don't fall through the cracks.  

Hope all is well with your account now!

Hi,
I've had 3 requests this month and they seem to be from Eastern Europe . The response address was
".дirвив-13894.property"
Beware! I was told there was nothing I can do about this, so pay careful attention to these and don't open or respond to these links.
Gary

Hi @Cb-One0 I have had something similar, and I would love to ask you a few questions about it? Is there a way I can contact you? Or are you able to send me an email [personal information hidden].

Let me know, thanks!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lucy93,

Lovely to meet you. I am sorry to hear about this. I would recommend reporting this listing by clicking on the little flag icon (see image below) and this will highlight this to a specific team in Airbnb, who will then be able to look into it further.

Report Listing

Also to mention, as you post is publicly visible, for safety reasons I have removed your personal information from your post. If you would like to speak to one another directly, you could use the Direct Messaging system here in the Community Center (just hover over the image of the person you wish to speak with, next to their post and click 'Send Message').

I hope you get this sorted. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Bev11
Level 2
Carlisle, United Kingdom

I would want to report a fraud listing in connection with a villa in Mallorca. how do you speak to anyone?

when I ring contact number it asks me to press pound sign on my phone!!  will never use Airbnb again as when you 

have a problem they don't care.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bev11

Bev I feel so sorry for you that you have been the victim of a scam. Unfortunately every walk of life now involves people who want something for nothing and it is getting harder and harder to protect ourselves.
All I can say is Airbnb is the best run home hosting site available today. Airbnb offers advantages that other sections of the hospitality industry would not dream of. If you book a listing, you can get your money back for nothing more than changing your mind! Try that with a hotel or a hotel booking site like Trivago, Booking dot com, Wotif or any of the other dozen or so that are operating on a global scale. You have all sorts of protection under the umbrella of Airbnb that do not exist in the traditional hospitality market....And last of all Bev, you get to meet people like me who will enjoy cooking you a meal, sharing a red wine or two with you, put a chocolate or two on the beside table and who will go out of their way to make your stay a 5 star experience.

Don't be too hard on Airbnb Bev....not all the sharks are in the ocean, and Airbnb will do their utmost to try and prevevnt this from happening but, you can protect yourself! Look in the top left corner of this screen....you will see a little green padlock with the word secure next to it! If you do not see that.....click off the page as fast as you can...it will be a scam!

Cheers.....Rob

@Bev11 If the listing is on Airbnb, flag the listing so that Trust and Safety can take appropriate action.  Click on the small flag icon under the Save to Wish List area and select "This listing should not be on Airbnb".  This is best done through an internet browser, not an app. 

If you have been a victim of a scam, contact Airbnb.  Go to the Community Help Guides and select Contact Airbnb.  There you will see all the ways to contact Airbnb. 

Hope this helps!

Hi Clare,

I did that in November twoce and its happened again. Why is it fior me or the community to police and provide quality assurance for AirBnB?

They have a duty to protect, through proper checks, that peiople are genuine. AirBnB was prepared to take over $8500 from me for me to book my own house, i didnt press pay, but to me it illustrates that they are in essence aiding and abetting fraudulent behaviour through allowing bogus operators to represent hosues they have no right or authority to post on the platform.

Only I decide where and when my property is shwon online, not AirBnB of "Jose" from Spain. My images were used also without consent, this is an infingement of law in itself.

To top it off no one from AirBnB is communicationg with me, hopefully when the auithorities to whom I have rported this crime too get on to them they will be compelled to, however their silence seems to suggest they can act with impunity. 

My property, (which I do not list thriough Air BNB) has been frudulently listed 3 times, the "verified host" have even told me that one of the weeks I have officially blocked for my own usage and is booked via my agency is availble!

It makes a mockery of their checks and balances and confirms that are aiding and abetting fraudsters, copyright abuse etc etc etc. 

So angry right now

I have the same problem. 

Has AirBnb done anything about illegitimate host accounts ?

Kata253
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

Fraud listings!!!!

A week ago we received email from airbnb community center (support@airbnb-express.com) with the info to confirm our phone number or account will be blocked. We tried to confirm it and they asked us to change password. We unfortunately did it. Suddenly, a number of new listings appear at our account all around the world and we started to receive reservation and inquiry. Now we have 51 place at our account. 

We managed to clear most of them but 2 which received reservations (sent warning to guests, waiting to cancel reservation). On top of that we have about 40 new listings still waiting to be completed and open. 

Nothing else is changed at the account (phone no.; tax number..). 

Still waiting to see if something else will go wrong..hoping it will not. 

Learnings: do not change ANYTHING based on airbnb email. Only in case you see a message in the inbox at your account. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kata253 

Unfortunately you fell for a scam and your account was hacked the email you have given is clearly not an Airbnb one 'airbnb-express.com'. It was not an email from Airbnb.

Please call Airbnb straight away to get them to review your account.

You need to change your password straight away to a new one.