good guests cancelled their 6 night stay after 1 night

Karin12
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

good guests cancelled their 6 night stay after 1 night

I had guests book for a 6 night stay. They arrived and were a lovely couple. We chatted and they asked a lot of questions about the rules. We went over everything and they seemed happy. Our listing clearly states that we have cats and a dog. Later in the evening they sent me a message (I'm in the same house) to advise me that one of the cats had had a #2 accident (cat had the runs). I thanked them for letting me know and promptly cleaned it up. The next morning we got a message saying that they were uncomfortable with the amount of cat hair (it reminded them why they had given their cats up for adoption) and the little cat poop incident and they would like to cancel the remainder of the nights. I said sure not problem that I understood and that they should cancel the booking and the remaining eligible nights would be refunded (flexible cancellation policy). So obviously we weren't the right booking for these guests. They failed to determine this until they had stayed one night. I don't feel that they deserve a bad review in any way, but I'm wondering if I should make any mention about why they cancelled and left early or just keep it simple and rate them well?

13 Replies 13
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

As a fellow host,  I'd want to know.  Far too many reviews are the usual "they were lovely,  walked on water for us."  If an incident occured,  it helps to have an idea -- and allows us to adjust.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Karin12  As you state that the reason they cancelled was cat hair and "accident", I don't think it would do you any favors by mentioning this in your review. 

@Kate157 this was certainly part of my hesitation. They obviously didn't like animals as much as they thought they did and remembered why I suppose. They are innexperienced guests so this could be avoided in the future by them reading the listing descriptions more carefully.

@Kenneth12 your point is why I'm asking because if they make a habit of this, then other hosts would want to know so that perhaps they could vet them more thoroughly ahead of time. My review will be otherwise good, and I don't have any other hesitations in recommending them, but I do feel that this was perhaps a rookie mistake and I'll definitely give them some feedback privately.

Obviously,  she can word as she wishes.  "Guests cancelled due to presence of pets,  despite my listing saying so."   Though I suspect you're over-thinking a bit:   any guest that would read and not book due to such a comment in a review,  probably is better screened out at that point :),  not that many guests read reviews left by hosts for others.

Leigh29
Level 4
La Valle, WI

I'm sure they were disgusted by the pet hair and mess. You need to decide if you are hosting a zoo, or an Airbnb for people. OMG

@Leigh29 you are certainly entitled to your (IMO uninformed) opinion however you'd probably also then be surprised at the number of guests I have who say that they have booked my place over others specifically because of the animals. Now as to the level of cat hair in the home, a certain amount is unavoidable, but it is kept to a minimum with regular cleaning. In fact, the room that this couple was staying in was occupied a week ago by a guest who told me upfront she had allergies to cats. She asked that I try to keep the cats out of her room leading up to her stay. I was happy to accomodate and she was very happy with my efforts and left a very nice review saying she would stay with us again.

@Marit-Anne0 this was the approach I ended up going with 🙂

@City-Limits-Ranch0 what you describe sounds amazing and I would love to stay with you  if I'm ever in your area 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Karin12

You could simply say they were not the right match for you as a pet owner.  Because that is the simple truth without offending anyone and you will still get the message through. 

@Leigh29you know, making nasty comments about someone else's home and lifestyle is really unnecessary.  As long as the host has explained what to expect, it is on the guests to decide if they will be comfortable there.  If they then realize they were wrong, that is no one's fault.

If there was a baby and he screamed all night with an earache I wouldn't call the parent's home a 'zoo' and write OMG. However I might understand a guest deciding to reclocate.

If there was no smoking indoors but there was smoking outdoors and it wafted in I would be really uncomfortable and might decide to cut my stay short, but had the host informed me of this prior to my arrival I wouldn't call their home an ashtray.

I have many dogs, horses, roosters crow at dawn and there are dust and flies.  It's a ranch.  If you don't like ranches, dust, dogs and horses don't book to stay here.  I would a million times rather stay here vs a clean quiet high rise in New York City (which I know well.)

Your home was full of cat hair. I really couldn't blame them for leaving.

I was not nasty. You have too many pets and its not clean. End of discussion.

@Leigh29 you seem to know an awful lot about my home for someone who has never been here...

Quite frankly I would do what is right for you.

They might be good guests , but it was also their own responsibility to research your place in the first place.

I had the same problem ,I had good guests that was booked by their son. He failed to read my description and note that instead of a bed I had 2 mattresses. Naturally this became a problem for them and they left and left a scathing review and even commented how hard it was to have a proper bed and I should make it cheaper. 

I was hurt as it wasn't my fault if the son was too lazy to read the full description and reason for the matteresses was I was not sure how long term the place was going to be available for renting out and I had priced it accordingly. So I choose to ignore it.

But I always regretted not having my say, that I felt in saying something honest will leave a bad impression and give them a bad experience. I failed in saying how these good guests ,cancelled after 2 days asked for refund when it was clear in my terms and condition that they weren't entitled to it. So again, they failed to read my description.  By not having a say to this guy I felt like I robbed myself of a chance to remind him how to become a better guest by reading and not be a lazy cheap skate for his parents.

On another note, about the cats.  I have 2 ,and one of them loves going to the apartment next door to say hi. My airbnb place is just next door but there is a balcony that is connected. My neighbours also have pets ,their cats rarely visit but it happens. I have included this in my description. 

I am lucky to say I have guests who don't mind at all and have come around to love the visits they get. Even had an incident where my cat got stuck locked in and had woken them up to tell them to let him out. They found it funny and loved that my cat was so communcative. 

But I had annoying annoying, let me emphasis this again, annoying people messaging me about the cat situation. Asking is that my cat to how they like to roam about .I had one lady asking the same question thrice in three different ways. I said, if you don't like cats and this is an issue, please don't book. How hard is it for guests to understand that. Hard apparently for a few.

As much as we love to be good host, you do get the occassionally  (can I say it),  get idiots. 

So be firm, it is your place, you have no control of what your cats go through and that comes part with the terrority.

I have stayed at place with 2 cats and 2 dogs. No problems and if I saw a poo , I know that is my own fault for booking such a place. I would not blame it on the host but of course I would warn them of the mess.

To @Leigh29, your comment is one that annoys me because it is not constructive at all and provides no insight. Your attitude is one that is reflected in the same as the guests I get when they ask the same question about the cat situation. 

I get annoyed when people have the responses as you do when it comes to Airbnb. This is such an unique renting platform where we get to experience and to live in homes both real and amazing and that comes with the quirks and differences to your own. So when a home has pets, it has pets. Your comment is suggesting that Karin holds a zoo, was demeaning. She fulfilled her end by being a host, she cleaned it up, she made it clear in her posting she has pets. What comes out of her pets is beyond her control. I have 2 and I clean like crazy but I can not ask my pets to stop shedding their fur or scratching the carpet. If you want to post something. Post something worthwhile a thought. Not this useless empty remark. 

@Dionne2 Thank you, and a huge Amen! to everything you wrote.

Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Karin12 You are an extremely gracious host. Indeed please leave a review as this would not be a good fit (for me as a host) when the couple decides they'll 'give it another try' at a home with pets.