good towels

Dede9
Level 2
Austin, TX

good towels

Pretty simple request: looking for advice on a really good, thick, durable towel set. I had bought several mid price range sets that looked nice and have kept their color in the wash, but since we are renting with a 1 day min and are booked fairly solid, they are not holding up.  Now I see that I need to invest in really good towels that last. Any suggestions?

16 Replies 16
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We've had good luck with LL Bean towels and sheets. And their guarantee cannot be beat.

thanks for the quick reply and

good asvice.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Dede9  This is the brand I use and my reviews get comments on them being super plush. They are not cheap, but they do hold up well. I use the white bath towels, hand towels, washcloths and bath mats from this company.   

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Textile-Luxury-Lynova-Towels/dp/B074WBG5C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

thanks letita. i will go online tonight and make my choice.

Why do you choose white? I've always been afraid that guests would discolor the white. What is your experience?

@Dede9   I have black makeup washcloths also for guests. We just had a guest ruin 5 towels, 3 hand towels and 1 washcloth they used them to cleanup something red that spill all over the master bedroom floor. Unfortunely they washed them in hot water and set in the stains. We have a sign over the washing machine that is framed "Please Under No Conditions Wash Our Towels or Linens. If you need more just ask." AirBnB actually just paid me for them all today. Other than this experience, so long as we wash them correctly we have not had one stain we could not get out (knock on wood ;D). This would be towels for 12+ people for most stays.

http://turkishtowelcompany.com/product/black-makeup-washcloth/

The black makeup towels are a good idea. I was considering offering those disposable makeup removing towelettes b/c I've had guests that use benzoyl peroxide products ( for acne), have used my towels to dry their face with and have left permanent stains on them.

However, using black wash rags would work as well.

Thanks for all your great input!

@Dede9  I also leave the disposible makeup removers in addition to the black washcloths and they do get used. 

Hi Letti, you said airbnb oaid you for the stained and ruined towels.

May I ask you how you proceeded to get them reimbursed?

I just bought brand new towels and guests ruined them by using acne cream with Benzoyl Peroxide.

I have been wondering if I should just take it in stride as part of ‘ the game’ or should I have made a claim with the guest ( thought this would be a little bit rude since they don’t necessarily know what benzoyl peroxide does to towels..) or if I can make a seperate claim with airbnb without the guest knowing?

Thanks so much

Lisa

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Dede9 we go with colored towels and patterned sheets because they're easier to keep looking good, but our places are semi-rustic lake houses where they're inevitably going to be used as swimming towels, etc., even though we provide other towels for that. But white linens as @Letti0 mentions are very attractive to guests and make your place look immaculate and professional. Whatever you do, don't make my rookie mistake of having some of each, because they will get laundered together, then your nice white towels will no longer be white.

Thanks Lisa.

Fortunately ( for my towels) there is not a washer in my small garage apt so I am in control of my laundry.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

I bought towels from Bed Bath & Beyond, but I bought several "sets", so that I can rotate them in and out of my listing. And I started leaving only one towel per guest, per days booked. I have other towels in the listing, but not readily available. Helps cut down on the amount of times a towel gets washed. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Why do you want thick? Harder to wash, even harder to dry. I use Frajen from IKEA, very good value and I personally prefer a thinner towel with a bit of ''bite'', really don't like fluffy soft ones. I can fill a machine with heaps of them. White is best, but I use three different colours (pale grey and dark grey as well as white) so different guests can identify theirs with greater ease.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've found perfectly good, thick towels at Walmart and needless to say, didn't pay much for them. I prefer colored ones myself- I have rust colored and sage green- the colors look good with my decor.