great guests but then discovered damage which they now claim was already there

great guests but then discovered damage which they now claim was already there

We have had 17 fantastic experiences with Airbnb both as hosts and guests so it is disappointing that we have finally had a problem.

We hosted a Doctor and his family who were attending their sons wedding nearby. Everything was great - we met them, he communicated well and the house was left very clean and tidy.

3 days later whilst cleaning I discover significant damage to an internal bedroom door, so much so it will have to be completley replaced as it cant even be closed properly. The Doctor has contacted his adult son and daughter in law who stayed in that room and they have replied that it was like that when they arrived. I am 100% sure it was not like that and if it was surely they would have said something !?

I'm going to put in a claim through the resolution centre but I'm at two minds what to do about a review. I think he is probably a good guest ( he is a host himself) but I firmly believe someone in his group is not telling the truth. 

any thoughts or similar experiences ?

19 Replies 19
Penelope10
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Provide the before pictures of the place and then after pictures of the place of how they left it. Send documents.

They have damaged a door. Its not possible to take before photos of every square inch of a very large house.

Penelope10
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

For review then says are great guests but have left damages.
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

We have had similar experiences.  Also the same # of guests as you in our new Airbnb - most all have been great.  Twice, we have found damages after they were gone, and one after the 48 hour deadline.  Personally,  I don't think that it is fair to Guests if we don't take the time to thoroughly examine our properties within that 48 hour deadline to report damages.  In both of the cases, we fixed the damages ourselves and didn't seek any remedy from the Guests.  I just felt a guilty not finding the damages promptly, and I put myself in the Guests' shoes.  However, due to two different damages, we have now committed to a more thorough survey of our home to ensure that all damages are identified and reported promptly, so that we feel right in seeking damages immediately.  Good luck.  We are grateful that we've nearly all had excellent guests, and this happens so infrequently.

What 48 hour limit ?

I did discover it within that time but have spent the past 10 days going backwards and forwards with emails. 

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Don't worry about it and repair or replace the door.  

Then increase your rates fractionally so you never have to worry about minor repairs. 

What you describe is a bit more than I've ever experienced but still I wouldn't worry about it.  In a year's time you get some damages maybe one time;  good opportunity to get a handyman in and make a bunch of other small repairs and improvements at the same time.

Actually my husband is a builder and we always ensure that every square inch of the place is in good shape - in fact it had a full spring clean only last month. It is a high end luxury home and the door will be expensive to replace.

@Sandra245

To be honest, for $600 at your place, you are being nit picky about a door damage. For that reason, landlords don't put expensive fixtures in their properties. You either expect such things to happen that doors get damage, that water leaks, floors get scratched, etc or you don't do short-term rentals, or any rentals at all. 

From what I recall, even a pretty good looking interior door from Home Depot is around $200. If your husband is a contractor, then labor cost is minimal. However, putting a matching wood piece and repainting a door can also work. 

Have a more positive attitute. Your place is beautiful. You are making money renting it out. Damage and wear and tear will happen. 

This is our family home not some rental. Its a high end luxury home ( and the doors are custom made) - hence why we charge a fairly high rate.

We've actually had an independant quote to be objective - $1500 !

And I think you are missing the point of the legal threat which has upset me a lot more than the door. 

( ps. contracting prices and goods in australia are significantly more expensive than in the US for future reference) 

What a judgemental, non-productive thing to say.  Whether a hovel or a palace, damage is damage, and the person responsible needs to make things right. Her nightly rental rate is immaterial.  I'm sure that her rate, like any other hosts rate, reflects a fair value for the accomodations that are offered, and covers normal wear and tear. 

And... The fact that her husband is a contractor with the skillset and tools necessary to repair the door or install a replacement doesn't change anything.  His time has value... and time spent repairing the damage, is time that he can't spend working on other clients projects and billing fair value for his labor.

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

For the review, just say what you said here.

Well it gets better. I just received an email from them saying that if I say antything negative about them in a review they will refer it to their legal team !

They continue to say the damage was already there ( and had to use a cushion each night to close the door) yet failed to notify us of this at all over the 4 day stay nor upon check out. There is a process to follow to report faults or problems and they did not follow it yet I am being threatened if I dare leave an honest review !? As well as being stuck with the repair bill !

They cannot threaten you with a bad review, or threaten retaliation against you if you leave them a bad review. Those threats are violations of Airbnb's terms of service, and you should report this behavior to Airbnb.

The review you give of them should be simply a rundown of the facts. Begin your review with, "I would not host (name) again." That will flag this guest for future potential hosts.

Then just state the facts in the case, in the order they happened. Leave out any opinions, judgements or feelings. Just facts. Whoever reads the review will formulate their own opinion of that guest, based on the facts you provide.

For the damages, use the Resolution Center and if the uest refuses to pay, click on "Involve Airbnb." Watch your email carefully. I had email messages from the Airbnb Resolution Center end up in my spam folder, and I never got them in time, even though my usual emails from Airbnb always come through without a problem.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sandra245

The threat to involve their legal team in case of a bad review is as @Bob39 says inappropriate and could be considered extortion.

Did you know that the official ABB message page is like a paper trail because Airbnb has insight into it and will check it in case of disputes?

So I hope you kept all your correspondence with guest on that and not through regular email. I would also in a message on the booking page refer to having received his email (copy/paste his threatening text into it) and whatever else you may want to say.

Report him by flagging his profile (or a message on the message page that is inappropriate) and add your reason in the pop-up window.