guest arriving late - can I charge them?

guest arriving late - can I charge them?

How can we impose a fee for guest that arrive past a reasonable time of night? 

We have a check-in time starting 3 PM but we don't want to stay up past 10:30 PM waiting for guest to arrive.

Any ideas?

57 Replies 57

Do you get punished for this, how does this work if you only allow them to do check in window. 

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Marcelino & Dave, 

It is no problem to add an additional fee for a late check-in. Make certain you unambiguously state the policy in your house rules and when a guest triggers the fee, add it onto their booking via the resolution center. The resolution center has an option where one can a dd a fee for extra services. This is the funtion that you want to use for such a case. We charge for early/late check-ins as well as pre/post check-in/check-out luggage storage. Airbnb sides with us every time on the off chance there is a dispute due to the fact that these fees are clearly outlined in our house rules.

Cheers, 
Ernie ***

Rowena10
Level 2
Sandgate, United Kingdom

Messaged guests yesterday for eta, told would be after 6.00pm this evening get a message a 8.10 to say arriving 9.30 -- 10.00pm  still not here is this acceptable 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did they say why they are running nearly four hours late?

Unless there is an emergency such as a delayed flight or car breakdown I would just tell them, that you have been waiting XX hours for them to check in and that if they want to check in tonight, you will need to see them with you by XXXX.

You must be very clear in your listing about what hours are acceptable for check in and what surcharge will be imposed for late arrivals. I charge $50 for check ins after 10:00 pm. NOT CASH! Always go through the Airbnb site to collect. 

How do you collect the late check in fee through the Airbnb website? Thanks! 

As a host I feel your pain, @Rowena10, but if your guests are at the mercy of delayed  or cancelled flights, I would give them a break. Sometimes there is a very fine line between gracious hospitality and doormat, but I always want to err on the side of graciousness.

I agree with you BUT they themselves know that a flight has been delayed, or even cancelled. Isn't it normal, polite, to inform the host about this? We have more than 1 accommodation and it happens that we are waiting for 2 guests for different accommodations at the agreed time until after midnight because they do not notify us. At 3 o'clock at night you will be called out of bed.

Late check ins are a pain, but so are many aspects of any job.  A good host will suck it up with a smile.   Remember that it´s not always in a guest´s control where flight times are considered nor delays or getting lost....it´s all a part of traveling.  If you can´t accomodate the odd late check in, maybe you´re in the wrong business.  I feel many hosts see airbnb as a way of earning easy money and there is no such thing.  It´s our job to receive guests and make them feel welcome.  Just because it´s inconvenient, doesn´t mean you shouldn´t accomodate it with grace.  Don´t just be a host, be a superhost and quit whining!  You have their money, be happy and make them happy!

Agree with you 100%, Melissa.  Some flights arrive in my city way past midnght from overseas, and I'm not going to penalize or punish my guests for this.  

Exactly, what a way for them to arrive after a stressful journey.  Also, the way I see it, is it is hours of less water being used which is precious here, less air con etc ... It´s like getting all profit for one day of their stay.  I became tired of waiting for guests to arrive at any time of the day, so I had someone paint animals in the stairs which lead to their units.  For instance if they rent the suite, they follow the pictures of the crabs to their suite, there is a place where the key is hidden and when they enter the unit, their welcome booklet also has a picture of the crab, so they are positive they are in the right part of the house. This has liberated me in so many ways.  People are still very happy with check in process and I am not waiting around all day,  and am no longer ruining my back carrying so much luggage up the stairs.  The guest has to do it once, but when I am full it can be every other day.  There are ways to simplify things and the guests are not affected.  

But at some point you need a life and a lot of times it is poor planning

I've had a few that will say they will be checking in late around 8pm but will communicate that they are running late (no explnation) and arrive at 10pm

I just had one last night arrive after midnight, they were to check in at 4 but when it got to be 8pm I messaged them and asked for an update on arrival they said 11pm but didn't show up until after midnight.  I rent a room in my home so I need to be awake to let them in and show them to their room, it shows lack of consideration to the host with no communication at all.

Things like this are happening more and more, not sure what to do about it.

I'm currently waiting on a guest who's original ETA was 3-4 pm this afternoon.  At 11 this morning she wrote that she would be in after 9 pm as I informed her in my original reply that I had rehearsal from 7-9 pm and would be home a few minutes after that. 

She said she would meet at 9-ish, but then at 9:20 messages me that she will "be in later as she is out to dinner with friends" She planned to be out late as I was, too. Ummm NO, that's not what I informed her of.

Check in is 3-10, this is a shared-space hostel. The last reply was that she thought it was like other hostels where she could come and go as she liked. "Yes, that is the case, once you check in and know where your accommodations are."

Thanks for letting me vent! 😄

We live in an isolated city with many flights arriving early morning from overseas and locally. When many planes arrive at the same time getting through customs, collecting luggage, getting a cab or picking up a rental can vary. We are also in our 70s and sometimes retire early. So we put up a keylock and send clear instructions on the use and code. Yes, we had a group trying to unlock our front door instead of theirs and another trying to unlock the wooden door which was inlocked with only the screen door locked but generally, it works well. However, the next day we like to take our guests on a tour of the flat so they make the most of their stay, especially as many don't read our online details or introduction letter we leave on the coffee table.

This way we can remain calm and gracious, welcoming tired travellers whose internal clock is out of whack with sunrise and set. Guests occasionally rush to the shops for supplies as they haven't seen the bread & milk they ordered in the kitchen but the majority are grateful for all we do.