guest booking for their parents

Rasha0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

guest booking for their parents

Hi, 

I live in Vancouver Canada and about 80% of my guests are parents visting thier adult children & their grandchildren. About 50% of these guests are not computer savy - so their adult kids gets to make the booking for them. I never had any problems with any- on the contracry these grandparents are my best type of guests! They stay for at least 3 weeks, very quiet when in the suite, spend most of the day with their children cause that is what they are here for; so I hardly see them! The problem is that I recently got to know that Airbnb Host gurantee may not cover me incase of accidents as these parents did not do the booking themselves. I know that if I ask their kids to have them create an account on airbnb and go through setting that up they will not book and these are 80% of my guests! So how do I work around that. I usually ask them to send me their full name and I can even go as far as taking a copy of their ID which they are totaly fine with but not creating a profile as it is painful for them to do because of their computer skills. So how do i work around that ? Is there a place where the booking guest gets to enter the names of the people in their party  for example? 

Thanks

Rasha

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Rasha0 I would suggest that the kids help their parents set up an account for themselves while they are visiting.  Or you could help them . Yes, I believe the Host Guarantee only applies to the guest that makes the reservation.  

Problem  with 3rd party bookings, unless you know them from previous reservations, you don't know who is walking in the door.  You can't always rely on what they tell you on a message thread. If there is damage you might not even be able to collect on your security deposit. Also, what if there is an emergency?  Do you have contact info for the guests actually staying there? 

It's entirely up to you...you need to weigh the pros and cons of accepting 3rd party bookings. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

Responsible Guest” means the Guest who booked your Covered Accommodation for the period during which you incurred the Covered Losses for which you request payment under these Airbnb Host Guarantee Terms.

Good luck!

Hi @Rasha0

We get this kind of bookings as well... sometimes they ask before booking and sometimes they only tell days before the arrival... We are fine with that.. We just send a reminder note to the guest they are still responsible for the rental...

We had to claim $50 for one of this guests and it was paid successfully after escalating the issue to Airbnb...

In the end it's entirely up to you...

Luis