guest cancellation after 1st night due to rain noise on tin roof

Nelly-And-Stan0
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

guest cancellation after 1st night due to rain noise on tin roof

Hi

My guests texted, after the 1st night, that they want a refund as they couldn't sleep due to rain noise on the tin roof. I immediately replied, and refunded the remaining 3 nights of their booking, sending them 3/4 of my net payout via the Resolution Centre's system.

I'm now worried that they may leave a bad review - for something that's completely out of my control.

Is there a way to block the review being public (if they indeed post a review)?

Thanks

Nelly

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nelly-And-Stan0 

You can not block a review.

If the "rain noise" is really extreme, then mention in the listing, in section "potential for noise".

Nelly-And-Stan0
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

Thanks, for your suggestion. The rain noise is definitely not extreme, it wasn't a storm, however I've I already updated my description to include info about the tin roof and possible noise from rain on it.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nelly-And-Stan0  What right-thinking person doesn't love the sound of rain on a tin roof?  Ugh.

Don't worry about the review.  You can't control it.  Leave a light response if it's a bad one - "This guest didn't like the sound of rain on the tin roof, but did like the refund she received for the unbearable inconvenience."

My strategy when I feel a not-so-good review coming on is to wait the full two weeks to write one (or not write one at all).  During those two weeks you'll get more views and bookings, and might have other guests come along to leave good reviews, so that by the time this guest's review appears, it won't be at the top of the list.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Nelly-And-Stan0  I love the sound of rain on a tin roof!  However, I can understand that it might irritate some people and I think you were very generous to allow them to leave and refund them.  Unlike @Ann72 , I would not mention that you gave a refund either in a review or in a response to one as this might give future guests ‘ideas’ … and we already know just how ‘creative’ some of them can be.