guest count vs house rules

Robin-and-Mami0
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

guest count vs house rules

Our total occupancy guest count is limited by the  home owner's association house rules which count all people as 1 guest and there is a maximum of 4 people allowed per unit.  This means infants count toward the legal occupancy limit.  Airbnb's booking system doesn't count infants  toward the maximum occupancy guest count.   Years ago, Airbnb customer service gave me this script to add to my Hosting page:  "Please book infants from 0 -2 years as 2 - 12 years so Airbnb system will count each 0 - 2 year child as 1 guest. Enfants 0-2 years are welcome!".  And they said I should keep my unit on  Instant Book.

The problem is, the script has to be read and understood by guests.  It's a band-aid to the Airbnb guest count algorithm.  If a guest is using instant book, they can easily make a mistake and book 4 adults and 10 children on our 300 sf studio - very much a house rules violation.  They might simoultaneously book an airfare.

Does anyone who is dealing with this problem have a better solution? 

Does Airbnb's algorithm create a similar problem for you?

2 Replies 2
Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

I do not have the same problem, as my 1930’s apartment is not suitable for children, but how about adding this to your house rules/description: “Per local occupancy laws, please make sure you include infants 0 – 2 years in your total guest count.  Guests arriving with more than 4 persons, regardless of age, will be referred back to Airbnb for rapid access to accommodations that do not break local occupancy laws.” 

Thank you.

Sounds well worded - clean and clear - like a good lawyer - as long as Airbnb honors the contingency - I will check with them and repost a follow up with the results here.