guest left personal belongings

Luana107
Level 2
Jericho, VT

guest left personal belongings

My last guest checked out of my apt. on January 27.  I went downstairs to start to clean, and strip the bedding.  In the bathroom the woman left her engagement ring, wedding ring, cocktail ring, and a necklace.  I immediately sent a text, and tried calling him as well  telling them that I found the jewlery in the bathroom and hoped that they would or could come back to get them.   They left only minutes before I text.  The man text me back and said he could not, but asked if she could come back and get them.  I said, of course, and asked when she would be arriving to pick them up.  I did not hear back from him.  I text him 3 more times, and still no response.  I have the jewlery in a safe place, and hope they will contact me.  Is there anything else I could do?  Did I do enough?  

17 Replies 17
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

That is mysterious. Did you actually see her leave? I sense a plot, if this was fictional suspense she would not be around to collect...

They are important pieces of jewellery women would not easily forget, but a man would. I feel concerned.

I did see her leave.  I, too, am concerned.  Something just does'nt feel right to me.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

The only other thing I can think you might do is contact Airbnb and let them know this is happening. My only concern is that they might complain that you stole the items some how. You used the site to message him I hope? If not be sure and do so for all future correspondence. You want to make sure everything is above reproach. 

Thank you.  That was my concern as well.  I did use the site to contact him.  I will call Airbnb and let them know what happened.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Was going to say too that I am a mystery writer, so I feel the plot growing. Must stop. I can't see any reason as to why they have not collected, you have done enough and just need to hang on to it.

I have thought about this for four days now.  I do not understand it at all.  You think it would be of great sentimental value to her.?  I will contact Airbnb and let them know what happened.  Thank you

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Maybe @Luana107, she is not his wife?

But seriously, it’s good to know you are coresponding and documenting through Airbnb. If not already undertaken, please take photos of the items, including closeups of any markings and place them also on the message board site for further evidence for your and Airbnb.

Hope all works out, and if possible, please keep us informed...

🙂

Cathie

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

damnit @Luana107 I want to know what happens next...! lol

🙂

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Luana107

Hi in the UK I would, after a few days of no contact, hand them in to my local police station and obtain a file number. I would then advise the guest by the platform and text of where the rings are being held and the file number. That absolves you of any responsibily for keeping them safe and protects you against the guests claiming something is damaged, missing etc

@Gerry-And-Rashid0  That's excellent advice!

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

Insurance scam?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fran2

Yeah Fran, I'm with you, this sounds like an insurance fraud in the making. Handball it to the police as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 said. That is the end of it as far as you are concerned.

@Luana107, No good involving Airbnb, they will dither around with it and in the end find some way of making it your fault that the guest left their possessions behind.....probably end up giving the guest a refund for the inconvenience of this back and forth contact with them!

Cheers......Rob

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Isn't it obvious? 🙂

He and she had a fight and she left him... and left all jewelry she got from him... he felt sorry for the break up and for the jewelry and at first he intended to come back and collect it but then he realized it would be too much trouble and she doesn't want him or jewelry back so why bother.