guest makes a mess of the house and host not reimbursed

Mary4192
Level 2
Cape May, NJ

guest makes a mess of the house and host not reimbursed

has anyone had success getting Airbnb to collect money from a guest when they leave the house a mess (not in accordance with departure instructions)?

This happened to me.  I provide 'departure instructions' that ask guests to leave the house in neat condition or they will be charged at $225 cleaning fee (the basic cleaning is included in the rental but guests must leave the house neat so the cleaners are not doing dishes and making beds and emptying trash cans...guests are asked to do that).  Airbnb says they cannot force the guest to pay even though I do have a $500 security deposit on my listing and have given them proof of several ways that the guest was informed of her duties and acknowledged that (Airbnb message thread where I refer to these duties the day they booked, a lease that I sent the guest which stated this and she acknowledged via email, the 'welcome' note that I send them that specifically tells them what they need to do and notes the charge if they don't, copies of posting in the house that says the same thing, and pictures of what they left behind).

I have been corresponding and calling Airbnb on this matter for 3 months (via the Resolution Center, I entered a claim after reaching out to the guest, within 3 days of departure....Airbnb closed it).  Their only explanation is that they cannot force a guest to pay.

15 Replies 15

@Mike-And-Jane0  Leaving dirty dishes in a house is gross and disrespectful if it is anything more than a glass or coffee cup left the day of departure.  Dirty dishes also attract bugs and depending on when a cleaning crew would be arriving this could create serious issues over time.  In all the five years of hosting only one set of guests out of hundreds left a full compliment of filthy dishes and pots and pans.