guest put their own lock on the property

Answered!
Kshama3
Level 2
Pune, India

guest put their own lock on the property

Let me give some background. 

My perception about my guests- They did not really get the spirit of Airbnb and were behaving like they are living in a hotel.

- My house is in a very quiet locality and Guest family were shouting during family fight/argument, I received some phone calls from the neighbour living in the apartment above.

- I was asked to mediate between them and the cleaner about the time she came in to clean the house and utensils, I listened to them carefully and fixed a timing for the cleaning. And also told the guest that the cleaner has been with me for several years and she is very reliable in terms of safety of belongings. This was perceived by my guest as I am siding with the cleaner and this is what the guest said to me " We are not your personal guests, we are Airbnb guests and have paid for this place".  The voice was raised and tone was also not respectful.

They also could not let the cleaner clean the house when they were away, which was okay, but then they could not be home at the time agreed with her.

- Cleaner informed that they would switch on the AC and keep the door of the room open, basically cooling the whole apartment with the AC that was meant for the whole house.

- When they went out of town they put their own lock on the door without informing me. I see this as lack of trust and breach of safety norms. 

Please give me your perspective about these experiences and do let me know whether to and how to put this in review.

1 Best Answer
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kshama3 

A) Airbnb won't likely help much, and may even penalise you in some way. Be careful treading on that path. Just be sure to keep all the facts on the record via the resolutuon center. 

B) You're getting a bad review, no matter what. Prepare yourself for that and be professional about it. Keep emotions out of it. Just the facts 

C) You may ultimately have to evict this guest, and suffer the consequences, which may include giving all or part of their money back. Having it all on record *may* reduce your penalty. 

No, it's not fair at all, but hosts have all of the responsibility with little authority.

The only way to prevent this is to vet your guests carefully. If it smells funny, don't eat it. Scare them away before they book. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

well, if they have put their lock on the door this could be a valid reason for termination of their stay. Of course, if that's what you would like (I would) You should contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel this reservation without penalties for you.

Regarding the review, I am sure some other hosts could spell it out better than me but try to be brief, professional and nonemotional. I would say something like:

Guest xx and his group were disrespectful to our home, our cleaner, the neighbors, and to us. Unfortunately, based on our experience we cannot recommend them.

Thank you for your suggestion. Here is the review that I wrote

"We hosted - - and his family for a month. Overall a decent experience. Some things that I would like other hosts to know are: 1. When going out of town, they put their own lock on the property without informing me. 2. I found towels missing, had to call them and pick (2 towel and two hand towels up) after they left the place. 3. There were problems in communication with cleaner and one of the neighbours complained of noisy exchanges in the family. Other neighbour also heard shouting but didn’t find it disturbing." 

About the AC - I realized that the information provided by me on the listing needed more clarity- so I made that change for future guests.

Donna184
Level 5
Cobourg, Canada

Send the entire situation to Airbnb to deal with this. It is not worthy of getting a bad review when you have done everything possible to accommodate their needs.

A bad review takes so much away from the Host. After Guest writes it stays on your record and rating. I have one from 4 years ago. One I wish I had sent her packing on arrival but the husband said no this is lovely. She was saying the bedspread had dust on it which freshly washed it did not. She clearly did not want to stay here she wanted a 5-star hotel but the husband was not having it.  

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kshama3 

A) Airbnb won't likely help much, and may even penalise you in some way. Be careful treading on that path. Just be sure to keep all the facts on the record via the resolutuon center. 

B) You're getting a bad review, no matter what. Prepare yourself for that and be professional about it. Keep emotions out of it. Just the facts 

C) You may ultimately have to evict this guest, and suffer the consequences, which may include giving all or part of their money back. Having it all on record *may* reduce your penalty. 

No, it's not fair at all, but hosts have all of the responsibility with little authority.

The only way to prevent this is to vet your guests carefully. If it smells funny, don't eat it. Scare them away before they book.