guest refund

guest refund

Hello.  Looking for advice from more seasoned hosts...

A guest  emailed us to ask if we do last minute discounts.  With it being the end of summer and most of our bookings happening in a short time frame, we told her we did not during the summer season.  She understood and booked anyway with our cancellation policy being "moderate".  She cancelled 25 hours prior to arrival because she stated she burned herself with coffee.  She booked a single Friday night and we weren't able to fill her spot in the short time frame.  She now is requesting a full refund and Airbnb is making us email her as well as them to let them know what we'll be doing.  What is the point of having different cancellation policies, then?  Obviously if we had filled her spot it would be a non issue but now we're out a booking.  What would experienced hosts do?  

7 Replies 7
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

How about:

"As there was insufficient time to fill the cancelled night, we do have to stand firm on the cancellation policy to which you agreed when you booked. Do check with your travel insurance to see whether you are covered, though. Hope so! All the best!"

Do you want to say something like that?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Just say no.  The cancellation was before the day of check-in so the person can't tank your ratings because they can't leave a review, so there is no reason to give them anything beyond what the policy dictates.  

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sarah4118 “She now is requesting a full refund and Airbnb is making us email her as well as them to let them know what we'll be doing.”

She is free to ask, you are free to refuse.

“What is the point of having different cancellation policies, then?” 

No one can make you breach your cancellation policy for this person. Again, free to ask, free to refuse. 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Sarah.neste. caso eu não  argumento. muito com o hóspede 

quando vejo que não posso decidir o que me pede falo a ele. isso é diretamente com o aplicativo não posso resolver!

muitas vezes  querermos achar justificativas erramos temos que ir direto a fonte ,

e também estar bem informada antes de qualquer

decisão!!

Boa sorte Att Loni

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah4118 

I wouldn’t refund her.

She needs to learn to be responsible for her own actions. There are some guests who make a habit of making reservations at high-demand properties “just in case” they might decide to use them.

You might politely explain that due to her last-minute cancellation you cannot rent to one of the many other guests who really want to stay there.

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

Airbnb support should not be intervening when there is a clear cancellation policy, a last minute cancellation, and no extenuating circumstances.  I would ask Airbnb support if they are refunding their service fee?

No. No. No. Simple. I once accomodated a frequent guest because she's awesome. Then I did it for a person like you describe before because it was the holidays and I would extend a courtesy (24 hours before checkin).  I regretted it right away. She bugged me every day until Airbnb and I worked it out and even tried to use the resolution center to demand money. I started to rescind my offer until I realized she'd be even worse as a guest. But on refunds -  NEVER AGAIN.  I travel a lot and hotels don't put up with this stuff. Neither should we.

Don't know what is up with these guests who think we are a flea market open to bargaining (Oh - yes I do, some nitwit posted Youtube videos suggested guests ask for last minute discounts, etc.). Sigh.