guest requests pre-approval but then books a different property instead, my calendar is blocked

guest requests pre-approval but then books a different property instead, my calendar is blocked

I approved it within 2 minutes but apparently that wasn't good enough. AirBnB is even kind enough to notify me that they have booked something else, but the request is still "Payment Pending" and I can't cancel it. I tried sending a special offer but that had no effect on my calendar (the new dates were not blocked, and the old dates were not unblocked). And I couldn't even send them a special offer for the original dates they wanted becuase "dates unavailable". So, this is very broken. Is it going to be fixed? Or does AirBnB want me to decline all pre-approval requests and only accept instant book? Am I missing something or is it just broken?

As if wasting my time answering non-serious pre-approval requests at all hour of the day wasn't annoying enough without it blocking my calendar and costing me money. I used an option to send pre-approval without blocking my calendar before but that seems to be missing from the AirBnB android app now (which is different from the airbnb web interface, and also different from the airbnb android app on my girlfriend's phone, just to keep things clear and consistant).

5 Replies 5

and when did this fantastic update happen? Or has it always been like this? I recieved a pre-approval requests and responded with a special offer back in Oct. 2016 and it went perfectly smoothly, but I send the special offer before I approved anything.

I am having similar problems using the mobile app.  In future I shall simply send a message explaining that I will preapprove within a certain time when I am back at my desktop.  The app requested I block then did not block and a second request blocked the calendar automatically!. I have spoken with Help who could only suggest I email apologies and not accept the second booking until I heard from the first.  How long might that take if the first enquirer is flying half way round the world? The mobile app has left me potentially losing two bookings today.  

Victoria794
Level 2
Durban North, South Africa

I was happy to pre - approve but did not block the dates as I have instant book.  Now I do not have the option anymore and any request can block dates for up to 24 hours.   Not Happy.

@Victoria794  I'm not sure what you mean by not having the option anymore. I think you are confusing Inquiries with Booking Requests. With an Inquiry, you are asked to either Pre-approve or Decline, but in fact you don't have to do either, you just have to message the guest back within 24 hours in order not to be penalized. Dates for Inquiries are never automatically blocked. If you feel good about the guest, Pre-approve, which means they can move on to booking.

Booking Requests, for which you are asked to Accept (not pre-approve) or Decline, have always had the dates blocked until they collect payment from the guest, the guest has 24 hours to pay and the booking will be confirmed.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Victoria794 

I am trying to understand your issue here Victoria.

When you grant a pre-approval you will have seen a box which says "Do you want to block these dates from other enquiries" with a tick box. If you check that tick box your calendar is blocked from other enquiries until the pre-approval runs out....24 hours.

Are you saying that option box has now disappeared and that when you grant a pre-approval it automatically blocks your calendar?

I would be really concerned if this is the case!

Cheers......Rob