Jose37
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

guest violates my privacy / uses my computer without permission

5 Replies 5
Jose37
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

A guest and her boyfriend book my place for a week.

From Sunday to Thursday all is fine, until I discover they have locked themselves in their (my) private room with my laptop computer.

Once they let me in, after knocking 3 times - there is my computer, which they deny using and say "i must have left it there".

I tell them to pack their things and leave. I was very angry, I also call the police.

Two weeks later Airbnb email me to inform me that the guest have been given a full £412 refund, and that this amount will be DEDUCTED from my future hostings, until the monies are paid back in full.

Within the email it is written that this is a FINAL decision by Airbnb, and it cannot be contested.

At no point during the two weeks of 'investigation' was I consulted by Airbnb, the guest or the police.

It must have been annoying, but....I can see where AirBnB may have been coming from.

As you say, the first 5 days are fine - zero issues. They then lock themselves in their private room - surely that's the whole point of a locked private room.

With your laptop....that's the bit that I would find difficult too. I guess they were embarrassed/annoyed - and you were too. 

I think asking them to leave and calling the police was over the top. What justified the call to the police?

I can imagine the sort of complaint that they put in to AirBnB - but I do find it strange that they did not contact you.

However, I also find it strange that you did not contact AirBnB immediately and tell them you had to call the police, etc and ask them to terminate the booking, etc. 

Agree with Gerry And Rashid.

Sidepoint: computers, and especially laptops, should always be protected with a strong keyphrase, not only when having guests in house.

Having access to your computer means having access to your several online accounts, and you don't want anybody to access your airbnb, facebook, or even your bank...  My computer disks are even encrypted, so that even in case somebody steals the laptop or hard disk the will have nothing ore than the material.  Computers contain too much sensible data to leave it open.

(Why was my message saved in all one line???)

No idea...first time I have seen that...another platform bug I guess..