Advice please: guests doing drugs in your rental

Answered!
Susan46
Level 1
Lynden, WA

Advice please: guests doing drugs in your rental

So I am not seeing this sort of topic addressed but I had a quest that was doing drugs in my condo.  He was there supposedly just with his son but I had several neighbors say that there were alot of people there, windows open all the time, very noisey.  

He contacted me about 3 weeks after he had left to say first that he forgot his day planner under the upstairs  mattress and needed it, this then turned into his wallet with all his kids social security cards in it, then it became his sons insulin supplies.

My husband found it and what it was actually was drug paraphenalia,  I know as I am a nurse and frequently have to take these items away from patients, sign of the times.  I did report him through the email where you can flag a person but have no response from airbnb.

This could have been a serious situation had someone (think child) had found the needles and poked themselves.  Help!

1 Best Answer
Nancy2
Level 6
Sacramento, CA

Hi Susan,

I'd be more concerned about the extra people in the condo in terms of damage and noise.  I noticed you don't have anything in your house rules about no one but registered guests are allowed in the condo (as an example). 

I'm not sure there is much you can do after the fact other than notify Airbnb that drug paraphenalia was found on the property and let them decide what to do with that info.  Be specific as some drugs can be legal with a medical card.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

Most hosts are responsible and don't need a lecture from you.  Focus on the problematic host next to you rather than assuming all hosts are bad hosts just because you know one bad host.  (There's a name for that.)

A 19-month-old French child died after ingesting the equivalent of a few salt grains of fentanyl in an American Airbnb her parents were renting.

And lawyers for a previous tenant who broke the rules by allowing more adults to stay than permitted stated the tramautised parents whose daughter died were negligent, even though no traces of the drug were found on the family.

A horrible situation whose occurrence could have been reduced if people stayed in reputable hotels/motels instead, like I do.  Either that, or Airbnb starts doing random drug swabs of rentals.  They can certainly afford it.