guests peed on the bed - how do I review?

Joanne161
Level 2
Hudson, MA

guests peed on the bed - how do I review?

I am fairly new to hosting.  This is the first not so good experience I have had.  Luckily there was no damage to the matresses becasue I had protection.  Both beds were peed on and pillows had urine smell.  The entire bedroom smelled like urine the minute I walked in  I had to take ALL bedding materials to the laundrymat to get ready for the next guests to check in that day.  It was a bit stressfull but luckily with multiple washings and fans I was able to make the space ready for my new guests.  They also stole my shower curtain but nothing else.  Very random.   These guests obviously drank too much over their 2 night stay based on the bottles left.   I put in a claim to them for the curtain $20 and the laundry costs $25 and they send a note apology for the inconvenience and paid it.

I am afraid to give a negative review but I would love to warn the host community.  They had 2 reviews from other hosts in March 2018 that were great so that is what is so confusing about this.  I thought the review process would help me pick great guests and eliminate issues.   I had no warning signs.  Here are their previous reviews...

March 2018    Great guests! I hope they visit again!
March 2018    Super nice couple it's a pleasure to have them both as my guests .Clean ,quiet . Danny and his girlfriend are welcome in my home anytime
16 Replies 16
David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

I would say something like 'These guests left the room in a very poor condition that cost me a great deal of time and money to get clean. For that reason, I would not host them again'.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Joanne161@David192 I don't think a bad review is fair. Yes, they did the wrong thing, but they paid up what you asked. So why leave them a bad review - next time they accidentally cause a mess they probably won't pay up as there won't be any point. Turn the situation round as a host. If there was something wrong and you addressed it, would you feel cheated if the guest still left you a bad review? I would probably leave no review, or if I did, I would say that they maybe partied a little hard, left a bit of a mess, but paid for the additional cleaning required. don't make it all negative as that really wouldn't be fair.

David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

Thinking it over again, I would acknowledge in the review that they had paid readily and apologized. I do think it is important to alert other hosts that these guests are potentially a problem, however. I would write something like:

'These guests left the room in a very poor condition that cost me a great deal of effort to get clean. They did agree to compensate me for the expenses in doing so, and for replacing a missing item, but all the extra work was inconvenient. For that reason, I would not host them again'.

Jessica573
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

They peed the bed, stole things and you don't think a bad review if fair?  I can't even believe this is a dilemma.  I would absolutely want to know what I am getting into ad a host.  If you read in a review  " They urinated on the bed and pillows, stole my shower curtain, but said they were sorry and paid for the damages, would you host them?  Of course not.  These weren't accidents, 5hry we're irresponsible and intentional behaviors.  It's why premeditated murder is punished more severlynthrn unintentional manslaughter.  Agreed that's a way far off comparison, but I think it makes the point.  Hosts need to be forthcoming about what's happened so that other hosts can make decisions based on other's experiences.  If not, what's the point of the review system.

Vanessa831
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Right on Jessica! Bad behavior should not be rewarded with an okay review. It is totally stressful to write a negative review, but it is our duty as hosts. Think of the next host you are inflicting this bad news guest upon and do the right thing by acknowledging their shortcomings. "Though _____ was a lovely person the visit and its aftermath presented serious challenges. As such I cannot recommend them to other hosts, but wish them the best in their future adventures"...if they handled the damage request well be sure to state that too.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Gillian19 totally agree

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Reminds me to buy some plastic sheets.

How do you pee on the pillow ? Sounds like maybe some other type of activity going on 😞

In any event, if your bed was not protected you'd be in for $1k+ and might want to warn others.. Airbnb really needs to start kicking people off that do this kind of weird stuff.

@Pete28 @Joanne161  Yes, indeed, how do you pee on a pillow and why steal a $20 shower curtain? Pretty strange.

This would be a hard one to review since they did readily agree to the damage payment, but I don't agree with those who said she shouldn't leave a bad review. I wouldn't necessarily leave a terrible review, but I think I'd give them one star for cleanliness for sure. The fact that they just walked away from it without informing the host is really rude and the theft of the curtain is not okay. (maybe that was part of their strange activities)

In contrast, I had a guest who had an "accident" on the bedding due to a food poisoning. In the morning, she came to me totally mortified, told me what happened, said there was no way she wanted me to have to even touch the sheets, and asked if I could start the washing machine for her (which is not a service I normally offer to guests to wash their own things) so she could deal with it. She did this even though she was extremely embarrassed. This is how responsible adults behave.

I could be more explicit about sexual practices and urine, but I will leave that to the Internet.

But none the less, Airbnb needs a button for 'remove guests from system', and needs to be clear they will protect hosts from this kind of behavior.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Joanne161 I'm with @David192 @Sarah977 and @Pete28 on this. It's one thing to break a vase or some incidental and agree to pay via the Resolution Center. But bodily fluids everywhere that require the sort of cleaning job better done in a hospital environment goes beyond a financial repair: This may be a one time thing, but it may not be, and it is not fair to future hosts who may have to find out the hard way, having no knowledge of the risks. Urine is usually not infectious, but can be if there is blood in it. The human eye is not always able to discern this presence of blood. 

My own experience with this sort of thing: I had a seemingly lovely older couple hack and cough all night (I could hear them from across the breezeway). After they checked out, I found blood spattered and smeared around the entire first floor Master suite, shower, counters, walls, sheets, pillows, linens, robes, and kitchenette. I had guests coming in 4 hours. My partner donned a mask and gloves and bleached down every inch of the space. Bodily fluids are nothing to be 'played around with' and can have serious health consequences, especially if a less experienced host is not aware of the need to protect oneself when handling soiled (possibly contaminated) materials (this requires gloves, mask, etc); how to properly dispose of such materials / waste (considered hazardous); and how to sterilize the rental so that the next guest is not exposed to possible contaminations via the bodily fluids. 

I called Airbnb to report these guests and they were very helpful. They refunded me themselves for the linens, etc, and they looked for a way to get the guests out of the Airbnb system - So even Airbnb was aware of how egregious these guests' behavior was.  I posted here in the community about how to review and got great feedback. I ended up giving them an honest review (I said 'stains' versus 'blood') and a 'thumbs down'.

This was my 3rd Airbnb guest, I was new at hosting, and in a bit of shock that something like this could occur, and nervous about leaving a guest an honest (negative) review. But I have worked in hospital environments and I knew how serious it was to have blood from someone's lungs spattered upon surfaces that others would be exposed to, as any bodily fluid is potentially hazardous and contaminated. Therefore, I felt an honest review was critical to the community. And I think the same in your case. So sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you handled it very well.

@Joanne161

I totally agree with @Rebecca181 @David and @Sarah977 and hope you leave an "honest" review of the FACTS - They left the room in a very bad condition without letting the host know in advance. They stole. Fortunately, they accepted your claim and appologized.

We hosts should have each others backs~

Agreed 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joanne161  Agree with all that has been stated.  If you would not host these guests again, to me that is the definition of thumbs down.  Perhaps that is all you have to do.  Just a thought.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

The reason you had no warning signs is probably because the other hosts chose not to leave a "bad review." 

I draw the line at stealing things and bodily fluids. Did they mention anything before you brought it up? Either way they were bad houseguests and you should mention it.