hosting a 92-year old - advice?

Christy12
Level 1
Nashville, TN

hosting a 92-year old - advice?

I have a family that is bringing their 92-year-old mother with them to stay at our Airbnb. The layout is fairly easy to navigate but I'm trying to think of ways to make the stay more enjoyable for her. Has anyone hosted elderly folks or have parents this age that travel and can provide insight or advice? I want to make sure her stay is wonderful too.

4 Replies 4
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Christy12,

Don't really have any valuable suggestions... Just wanted to say the fact you're asking and thinking about it is awesome. 🙂

Cheers,

Paul

PS - Maybe speak with a member of the family (a son or daughter) who may know some 'quirks' you could provide for the 92yo that will make her more comfortable.

@Christy12 - We have a 99-year-old Grandma who still travels!   Things to consider: 

1. Make sure there is a way for her to rest during the day.  She'll likely want to lay down mid-day.  Blackout drapes or an eyeshade will help.  A key of her own so she can return to the flat without her family and be able to lock up when she lays down.  

2. Nightlights and/or motion lights that go on if she should get up in the night to help her find the way to the bathroom.  

3. Water and a glass in her room for taking medication.  

4. A robe she can borrow if she doesn't bring one for herself.  

5. Tissues or eyeglass wipe for cleaning glasses.  Maybe eyeglass spray.  

6.  Ask her family directly what you can do to make Mom feel like she is "at home".  Does she prefer a quilt to a duvet and you have one?  That would be a nice swap. 

7. A personal note to just her, welcoming her to your home and hoping she has a nice stay

Good luck! 

Alice 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Anti slip mat in the shower, unless you already have one!

Mattress protector (but you hopefully have that already).

Carmel3
Level 2
Louisburgh, Ireland