hosting for weekly monthly stays only

Jena45
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

hosting for weekly monthly stays only

Hello, I would like to return to hosting after a long hiatus and I am seeking advice on how to list weekly or monthly stays only. 

- Do I need to set a nightly rate and only allow 7 days or 28 day bookings? Is it possible to do that on the same listing?

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jena45   The system works on a nightly rate, so starting there, you offer weekly or monthly percentage discounts.  It is probably best to have two listings since the policies for monthly long term bookings are different and you might adjust your description and even pictures to reflect what might be important to the guest that stays longer.  Just remember to sync the calendars.

@Linda108 thank you

@Jena45  There's not really a way to adjust the minimum/maximum stay parameters on a single listing that would allow, say, a 7-day or 28-day stay but not a number in between. You can adjust the settings so that check-ins are only possible on specific days of the week, you can set weekly/monthly discounts that incentivize longer stays, and you can even create a duplicate listing with linked calendars.

But whether any of these options makes sense really depends on what your underlying goal is here. Is there a particular reason that you would refuse an 8-day stay, for example? 

Jena45
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

@Anonymous thanks! So it sounds like I need to set a minimum of 6 day stay (I wouldn't refuse 8 days, the minimum stay is much more important to me). And then offer the weekly and monthly discount from there. And perhaps look into a duplicate listing for a monthly offering which has different policies. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jena45 

If you are looking to host guests who stay either for a week or a month, but don't mind anything in between, then you don't need to create separate listings. You just create a minimum stay of seven nights, maximum for one month, then a weekly discount and a monthly discount. The appropriate cancellation policy will automatically apply depending on how many nights they booked (long-term cancellation policy applies for 28 days or more).

If, however, you only want one week stays and one month stays, that's a bit more complicated, but why do you want guests who stay either one week, or one month, but not guests who stay two weeks? I'm intrigued.

The other thing you should do is check tenants rights in your area. For me, in the UK, it is not a problem as I'm a live in host, so people staying with me fall into the lodger category and don't get tenants' rights, but I know it's different everywhere. You might find that once someone has stayed a month with you, it's very difficult to get them out if they decide to squat the place.

@Huma0 I’m fine with guests staying longer than a week - 8 days, two weeks, etc. JUst not less than a week and not longer than one month. I think Philly limits airbnb rentals in homes to 90 days a year. I’ll definitely look into tenants rights. Thank you for the tips on how to list!

@Jena45  That's easy enough, just set a minimum of 7 nights and a maximum of 28 (or whichever number suits your needs here).