hosting stay in another country

hosting stay in another country

I am trying to host in a country I am not physically located, it is possible to create and manage this listing where I am not physically located? please help.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes if you employed an experienced local co-host who can be on hand to manage the cleaning service,  manage guest issues on the ground, manage any difficult guest issues etc.

You can ask for recommendations by asking on local host groups for your area. @Tania600 

Thanks Helen - also the taxes are paid in physical town of the location or my physical location. I am assuming its in the city I reside - I know its a CAP tax question and I am exploring more into it. I recently signed up as host and did not see notification of your response until now. So apologies from my end and thank you.

@Tania600  Local taxes are tied to the location of the listing, not your residence area. Income tax on earnings depend on the tax codes where your listing is and where you are citizen or resident. 

For instance, US citizens need to report worldwide income and pay income tax on it, and you would also need to pay income tax in the country where the listing is. But there are tax treaties between certain countries which prevent double taxation.

An accountant who is familiar with these things would be the person to consult.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Copy from the internet: "The United States is one of only two countries in the world that has citizenship-based taxation (the other is Eritrea)."

If there is no treaty for the avoidance of double taxation between US and the country, where your listing is located, for sure your business will be taxed twice. Local taxes...are different.

I think, that you will not make it without experienced local co-host. Be prepared to hire a local attorney and local accountant also. The US tax system is effective but very archaic and complicated if you are a small investor, trying to work abroad.

For example- my country (Bulgaria) has such a treaty with US. Also most of the EU countries.