Help writing my listing house rules?

Vanessa137
Level 2
Denver, CO

Help writing my listing house rules?

Hey everyone!

I have been Airbnbing for a while, but I feel like I lack rules in the house rules section. What do your house rules cover??

Thanks.

43 Replies 43

I'm sorry, but I had to respond. The way your rules are spelled out with the caps, seems very unwelcoming to me. In your Overview, you begin with the word "Look,". I felt that if I were interviewing your listing for a personal stay, I'd immediately go elsewhere. "Look" makes me feel like you're going to be bossy hosts. May want to change or not, but anyway, good luck!

So funny, I had the exact opposite feeling of - "oh, here are some people with a sense of humor" and they are trying to say, "yeah, we don't love this part, but it's totally necessary".

And being an art teacher I always cap the most important headings in my handouts so they are most eyecatching and readable, so, of course that really works for me, haha. It's interesting to see how different we all are! I wonder if my students think my caps are pushy, I should ask!!

Good to know that these things can be seen so differently as we are putting ours together!!

I tend to see it the same as John and Sheri.  They are saying what needs to be said, and they are hust trying to get it out there because it is important.

As for the CAPS.  It is good to organize your list.  If there are no bullet points, or numbers, etc. it will look like a blob of words.  So Alice & Jeff, I don't have a problem with the caps.  The organization is necessary and not a turnoff, in my opinion.

You didn't ask for my opinion, but I thought I would put it out there.

All caps designate headings, not emphasis. This is a graphic designer way of solving problems of not being able to make bold or designate categories on a website. In general, I agree all caps are a put off if used in the "yelling" kind of way, but not as obvious headlines and categories.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

My own rules cover nothing really, but I have saved some other listings which are good, have a look at my list of good rules here:

https://www.airbnb.com.au/wishlists/167268258

Hello , I went  to your site to check out your rules, but i cannot see it.. i see only pictures!

Tomorrow i will have my first 2 guests and didnt have yet write the rules. any suggestions ? Thank you ? howlong have you been doing aibnb?

Will it be ok to text me on my phone [personal information hidden] . thank you so much!

Fanny *** 

my place .

is" quiet street. near beach and beverly hills..."

@Fanny53  Not sure who your response is meant for, but there are several good examples of rules on this thread.  You have provided your cell phone number and for some reason the system has not hidden it.  This is not a private site.  Anyone can read the posts.  I suggest you edit your response and delete your phone number.   A host will be able to message you through the Air BNB messaging system.  It is a safety feature.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Fanny53, as Linda mentioned, for safety reasons as you post is publicly visible I have removed your personal information from your post above. 🙂

Thanks @Linda108

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sandra, I, too, am only seeing pictures. Would love to see your lists.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

In sandra's link, You have to click on each individual picture to take you to the listing and then click on house rules.

I particularly like this one:

FAKE TAN - [ A substance so annoying it gets its own paragraph ]
Fake tanners rub off on towels and sheets. My towels and sheets are white. The dyes in fake tanning products do not wash out using ordinary washing temperatures and detergents and the chemicals and temperatures needed to shift them destroy sheets and towels, as well as wasting hours of time dealing with the mess. Sometimes fake tanners won't wash out at all. So, if you must dye yourself orange, please either bring your own sheets, pillow cases and towels and use them instead of mine or be prepared to take the trashed items with you and be charged for replacements.

Just click on the picture. It will take you to the listing directly where you can see the rules. 

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I think it's not so much that you lack house rules but how they are phrased. You mention things like you can have friends over but...you cannot do 420 inside but you can do etc...bring your own food/alcohol but we can get some for you (w/ payment).

It's almost as if within the rule you mention a way out of the rule right away. For people who already are already rule breakers and not respectful, this is a golden ticket to do what they want. Also, your mention of "hands off" hosting may attract people looking to party when the host is away.

I think rules are best with a negative or declarative, simple phrasing i.e. No smoking - Smoke on roof, No unapproved guests - Must get permission, Quiet hours between 11-7. I do like your friendly, care-free manner though. Some above suggestions seem stringent tone wise. I would happily follow all of those rules but the delivery shouldn't sound like I'm staying with my parents. So find the balance that is true to you and will attract the guests that work for your listing.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Vanessa137 Good for you for considering what would make for good rules. I am always flabbergasted when a listing has no rules. Really? You're handing over access to your home and have nothing to say in the way of instructions/rules for guests?!?

Good luck w rule making & best wishes for rule following guests!

Jake-and-Melissa0
Level 2
California, United States

Hi there!

Feel free to check out ours on our listing for our place in Joshua Tree, CA. We had to add "no firearms" after a guy brought his rifle to our home. Oy vey! ; )

Jake-and-Melissa0
Level 2
California, United States

Also, we think it's nicer to, as much as possible, phrase rules kindly. A lot of listings' rules sound harsh!