Help writing my listing house rules?

Vanessa137
Level 2
Denver, CO

Help writing my listing house rules?

Hey everyone!

I have been Airbnbing for a while, but I feel like I lack rules in the house rules section. What do your house rules cover??

Thanks.

43 Replies 43
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Copy and paste from my listing:

**Please make sure you read the listing in its entirety**
- We expect you will respect our home.
- Picking up after yourself in common areas is important.
- We are FIRM with quiet time after 10PM on weeknights, as we both work early in the morning.
- No eating meals in the bedroom - snacks/munchies are OK.
- Absolutely NO unregistered guests without prior approval.
- Absolutely NO drugs of any kind - alcohol is OK.
- Absolutely NO smoking in the house and if you do smoke outside, please be courteous and clean up your butts/ash.
- Use of washer and dryer is not permitted for stays of less than 1 week.
- If you are staying for at least one week, please ask before starting laundry. (2 load maximum)
- For the comfort of our own pets, we do not allow any other animals in the house.
- Please always lock the front door when you leave and be courteous to the neighbors.
- If anything breaks, spills, stains, etc. please let Chris or I know ASAP.
- Unreturned and/or lost house keys will be charged a $25 replacement fee.
- Any significant damage will result in the loss of security deposit.

wow that's realy helpful thank you 🙂

Thank you! These are very good, I hope you don't mind  me using them?

Thanks so much very helpful; however I am new to "Hosting"...I hope you can help me with improving my listing...and guest information:

Airbnb suggests that Hosts should:

1. Provide "House Rules"...are they posted on my listing if so how...or do I just send-give to any Guest upon booking my home?
  2. Create a "Check-in-Guide"...which Airbnb shares with guests 24 hrs. before check-in... Is this something I post on my listing if so how...or do I just send-give to any Guest upon booking my home?
  3. Put Directions to your home in your "House Manual"...is this something I post on my listing if so how...or do I just send-give to any Guest upon booking my home?

Thank you very much...Rookie Level 2 Jeff  

Hello, Rookie Jeff 😄  Glad you have found this forum.  You are just the type of host to be able to make the most of what the community has to offer.   I looked at your listing of an entire condo and see that it is a lovely listing.  With regards to rules, I like to strike a balance between clarifying expectations and protecting your listing.  Many guests are new to the Air BNB system and either treat the space like a hotel room or feel intimidated by what they are "supposed to do".  

Have you ever been a guest using Air BNB?  If not, you should do that.  You will realize that even the best guest will mess up.  On the other hand, there are predatory guests that are looking for low cost and maximum abuse, especially with entire apartments.  So, what to do?  The protect yourself rules in addition to what you already haveneed to  include: no unregistered guests allowed and no smoking or vaping.  Other rules are about expectations as to check in and check out, condition of the space, use of the facilities, etc.  

Are you remote or are you able to come by and greet the guest?  The latter is better if possible.  If you think this business is a passive income opportunity, you will be dissappointed.  You will be adjusting your listing language and your rules and your settings all the time as you become familiar with your target market.

Good luck to you!

@Jeff541  Yes, put the house rules in your listing description, but a lot of guests simply don't bother to read. So many hosts will message the guest after they've booked, or when they send a request or inquiry, to ensure that the guests have, in fact, read through all your information and agree to the house rules. This is the time when it's good to reiterate the most impotant ones, whatever those may be. "XXX, just to make sure, you are aware that this is no smoking (pets, children, what have you) listing? I see you have just booked for one guest. Will there be anyone else accompanying you?" sort of thing.

You most definitely don't want to give directions to your home in your listing, nor post a photo of the front of your house. Guests are given directions by you after a confirmed booking and a week or less before their check-in. There's no reason they need to know it before then. If they're concerned about exectly where it is in relation to places they want to visit or where they are doing business, just give them the area, or cross-streets.

Thank you all very much...seems clear that I need to post my "House Rules" on my listing...and again via reservation made ...and I will likely leave a hard copy at my home. 

However, what about my other question...i.e.:  

1. Create a "Check-in-Guide"...which Airbnb shares with guests 24 hrs. before check-in... Is this something I post on my listing if so how...or do I just send-give to any Guest upon booking my home?

Is a "House Manual" all the hardcopy information made available to a guests upon their arrival? ...Apparently Directions to my home is something I email guests that have confirmed reservations...should I also include hardcopy directions to my home in the "House Manual" also? 

I have never been a Guest...and in hindsight I wish I would have: I see amazing housing "steals"  and being a guest would have given me great insights...My daughter is going to be a 1st time guest this summer.

I am a college professor (following a career in business) so when semesters are in vacation mode I depart to travel see family etc...I have always made my home available to family and friends...feel bad that it just sits empty for months...accordingly I just started with Airbnb on the basis of sharing a great value.

Normally I will absent when a reservation is made however I have arranged to pay a local friend-maintenance type guy to greet & check in and check out guests (well worth the money)

Looking forward to more info…Thank you very much...Rookie Level 2 Jeff 

Thank you for posting this information. Very helpful

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Vanessa137  Rules are different for shared space and entire home, mostly because you are there in the shared space and can react if need be to unacceptable behavior.  Entire home space requires more specific rules in anticipation of how guests will use the space.  Some will abuse it as a party house even if the party is pretty small.  One reason for rules is to be able to access the security deposit should expectations be violated.  If you don't have it as a written rule, then you would have more difficulty asking for reimbursement or for guests to leave.

In general you come across as someone who has never met a stranger, very welcoming and apparently works for you.

Here's ours: 

**OVERVIEW: Look, we hate having to lay out rules as much as you hate having to follow them. So we've identified the things that are REALLY important to us so please read them and be respectful of our needs so we can be great hosts for you.**

* BE ON TIME: We'll expect you to work with us to find a mutually acceptable check-in time and commit to arriving at the agreed upon time.

* PROFILE PICTURE: Please upload a profile picture where we can identify you by sight. This is our only way of ensuring we let you in and not a stranger.

* USE THE ALARM SYSTEM: The home has an alarm system and we will teach you how to use it. You will be given a personal alarm code when you are here and are expected to use the system when we're not home or sleeping.

* NO ENTERTAINING; We are perfectly happy having people pop by to pick up our guests, but we would prefer that you not use our home to entertain them. We'd be happy to help you find other places to spend time with your family and friends, for example working out details to pack a picnic to take to the Gardens or making a dinner reservation.

* OVERNIGHT GUESTS: All overnight guests must be approved in advance through the booking process and are subject to an additional fee as noted in the price.

* COOKING: You are welcome to use the microwave, glassware and dishes for anything you've brought for yourself. That means the stove, oven, cookware and knives are to be used only by us. If you desire a home-cooked meal instead of eating out, you must work that out in advance.

* NO EATING IN YOUR ROOM: If you intend to eat at home, please sit down in the kitchen, dining room, or on the back porch instead of eating in your room. Drinks can be had anywhere in the house.

* DOGS: Please do not instant book if you plan on bringing your dog. We charge an additional fee for your pet's overnight accommodations that you must agree to in advance. We cannot commit to dog-sitting so unattended dogs must be crated.

* NO SMOKING: There is no smoking of any kind in the house or on the deck and porch. If you need to smoke, you can step out to the curb and pocket your butt.

* QUIET HOURS: We prefer to keep it to a dull roar after midnight and before 7am. Ya gotta sleep some time. Waking us up in the middle of the night is not cool.

* NO CHILDREN UNDER 12 - We're childless and have never learned how to make our home safe for small kids so it's not - trust us. 1905 home = lead paint, 3 historic open fireplaces, uneven reclaimed hardwood floors.

* LEAVE BEHIND WHAT YOU DON'T USE: We'll do our best to anticipate what you may need by way of extra towels, blankets or such. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap are available while you are staying with us along with some other spiffs and we expect you to leave behind what you don't use during your stay. If you don't see what you need, please ask.

* TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENTS: If you are hot or cold, please ask us to adjust the air rather than adjusting it yourself. You have an adjustable overhead fan in your room for your personal comfort.

* FRIDGE USAGE AND BREAKFAST: Feel free to put a few things in the fridge - leftovers, beer, snacks - whatever. We'll have breakfast and coffee for you. If you have a request, please tell me since we might not have it and you can't be mad at us for that. There is always fresh fruit and toast. We drink dark roast Starbucks, so if you don't like it caffeinated, too dark or too strong, let's discuss it before you arrive.

* USE OF OUR HOME: You are welcome in all common areas of the home and our yard. Want to play some music or watch a show on your laptop - go for it. You may want to bring headphones if you watch during quiet hours. Remember - we don't have a TV.

* ASK IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR ISSUE: The key is, we're almost always here, just ask if you need something or want to know something. We appreciate the opportunity to make things more comfortable for you. If we aren't here, just text. We'll point you in the right direction.

**Whew! Let's do something more fun now. 🙂

Thank you! I may plagarize portions.  We are having our first guest soon, and I know I need to "post" and print house rules. We've rented before, but only during our Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.  Now I have 4!! upcoming rentals.  I'm a bit worried about our personal items that will be left out, so will address that.  It's never been an issue before so hope it won't be now. We do, of course, lock up all valuables, but you never know. 

I also will empty out some closet and drawer space.  Here's hoping for the best!

The house rules that a guest must follow are the ones that you had in your listing when they booked; not the ones listed when they arrive. If you add new rules, any existing bookings will not be obligated to follow them.

Good luck to both of you .

that's a cool one 🙂