how do I rate a guesst who has damaged property.

Tonya16
Level 2
Bendigo, Australia

how do I rate a guesst who has damaged property.

The last guests have left hair dye stains in the bathroom and on the kitchen table.  I contacted them to ask about the stains and what they were so we could appropriately clean them.  Stains will not completely come out.  The guest doesn't seem to care for what they did, not even a "oh sorry" but did acknowledge they did it, I have new guests in tomorrow.  How do I write a review for this.

11 Replies 11
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I had a recent guest who arrived with blond hair, but left with Navy Blue hair.  I was a little angry when I found navy blue stains on a pillow case and the sheets, along with blue splashes on a tan Venetian Plaster bathroom wall.  I mean, dammitt.  I'm going to have to replace some very expensive sheets, and I'm going to have to repaint an entire bathroom.  Have you ever done a tedious Venetian Plaster application in a bathroom?  You can't just touch that up.  And the product is around $80 a gallon.

I thought I'd attempt the impossible, and treated the stained linens with bleach before tossing them in the washer.  Wow.  Imagine that. The stains came right out.  But the blue stains on the bathroom wall required the judicious application of bleach with a cue-tip. I probably had to daub bleach on those spots three times before they disappeared. 

Have you got any bleach?  I used the Clorox "Splash-less" variety.  It didn't run down the wall as fast as regular bleach would have.  I think I held a paper towel to the wall below the area I was treating to keep it from dripping all over.

Hi there, Thank you for your reply.  I have my property managers onto it

The stain is in the resin of the basin and the table top is a white stain so will need to be sandd back and restained I think.  Just rude not to even say anything.  I do asked in my info that people let me know so I and address things before the next guests.  

If they had treated them straight away it wouldn't be a problem.  There is cleaning stuff there that would removed them at the time.  

Cheers Tonya

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

As for your question concerning the rating, @Tonya16: thumbs down and a neutral brief description of the incident. Lowest rating for cleanliness and house rules.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if that was the way to go.  

Regards Tonya. 

@Marzena4 do you think the below would be ok.  I'm new to having to do this.  They checked out yesterday and the cleaners went in today, no note or anything.  I had to contact them to find out what it was etc.  I guess at least they got back to me pretty quickly but still.

-

Thank you for staying at Our House on Todd.  It would have been appreciated if you could have let us know straight away that the stains in the bathroom and on the dining table where from hair dye, we would have been able to see to them immediately.  

or add before it "I wish you had not exposed our bathroom to chemicals like hair dye. And when you did do so, it would have been appreciated if you could have let us know straight away that the stains in the bathroom and on the dining table where from hair dye, we would have been able to see to them immediately."

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Tonya16

Be factual - this guest left hair dye stains in the bathroom and kitchen counter that have permanently set and offered no appology or accepted responsibility for damaging our home. I cannot recommend this guest to any other host and would not host this guest again. They deserve a thumbs down. You should go thru Airbnb to try and get compensation if not from the guest, at least from Airbnb.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tonya16 Please state something like this “this guest decided to dye their hair blue during her stay iusing our white towels and our bathroom. Imagine our surprise when we discovered the dye had ruined the table”

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I hate hair dye / henna products!

Why  guests think our place is a more appropriate place than their own home to use these products?

(Of course all hosts know the answer to this one...)

On airbnb, guests have no expectation of privacy. Please say " guests stained bedding and bathroom with hair dye. 😞    "

Tonya16
Level 2
Bendigo, Australia

Thank you everyone.  I will def give a thumbs down and leave a review that is suitable.  Cheers Tonya