how much coffee do you supply?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

how much coffee do you supply?

My last 2 guest stays were one day and 3 days. The guests who were here 3 days drank a whole 1.5 lb. container of Starbucks coffee. They were only here early in the morning and then got back about 8 pm. The guest who stayed a single night prepared 2 full pots of coffee, used a dozen creamers and as many packets of sugar. She threw out most of the coffee she brewed. Such a waste and expense! In hotels, they leave 2 packets of coffee and replace any used ones the next day. Am I being stingy by thinking that supplying an unlimited amount of coffee sets me up for being depleted by such guests? Would I be better off by getting a smaller coffee pot? I don't drink coffee, so I don't really know what is normal.

68 Replies 68

Hi it should be two cups of of coffee only , same as a hotel does

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Julie1525  I have chosen to make the coffee "unlimited." Since I mix my own coffee blend, I grind their coffee daily and place it in a glass cannister for their use. The amount in the cannister is about the amount needed for each person in the group to have two large IKEA mugs of coffee. They are all told that if they need more, just let me know. Mostly? Guests use a fraction of the coffee that I provide.

Now, I live in the house and I am playing breakfast fairy every day so this routine works well for me. Maybe something in my routine can help you.

me also... Coffee is not that expensive.

Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

Replace your coffee pot with an individual cup coffee maker then you can limit it 2 cups per person per day and of course if your guest wants more then give them more just like when your at a hotel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie1525  I would only leave enough for the number of people and length of stay. I'm a coffee drinker and drink 2 Large mugs each morning. A pound of coffee would last me for about 2 weeks.

I suspect your first guests didn't drink up all that coffee- they took it with them. Many guests assume that what is there is for the taking, so best to leave only as much of the amenities you provide as the guests will use. Let them know they can ask for more if they run out.

@Julie1525 

I second what @Sarah says.

I vary how much of everything I leave out ( toilet paper, ktichen cleaning eqipment, washing detergent, coffee, sugar, tea, coffee pods, milk etc etc) depending on the number of peopel staying ( I can house up to 9) and the length of the stay. I provide generously, but not extravagantly. I leave a note saying that all these provision are COMPLIMENTARY ( i live 1.5 hours away so I'm not going to be popping over with extra supplies).   My second ever  guests got through ( ie took with them) 10 dishwasher tablets, 3 rolls paper towels, 2 rolls of bins liners and an entire container of dishwashing liquid. They were only an overnight stay. ( Mind you they paid for 8 and had at least 16 there according to the neighbours).

Since then I've never had any guest completely use the things I've left out.

Regards

@Julie1525 

We have a private room listing in our home and also provide unlimited coffee BUT we have an automatic machine where you just place the cup under the spout and press a button. I would not recommend this type of machine for a private home listing simply because it's expensive but really convenient for coffee drinkers like Henry and myself. We got it more for ourselves than for guests 🙂

Imo it should be a machine that is simple to use, no fancy functions, and the type where people can get coffee " by the cup" not big pots that make enough coffee for 10 people at once. 2~3 cups per person per day should be more than enough.... and you can also leave a note that if guests need more coffee to just ask~

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

Thanks, everyone. Your responses are most helpful. I don't want to be stingy, but I don't want people to take advantage by being wasteful or taking the rest. I'll get a smaller coffee maker and supply a smaller amount. So, @Jessica-and-Henry0 , can you suggest a brand?

@Julie1525 

I know that the keurigs are most popular and now there are re-useable capsules which I think is a great option. I personally don't like capsule coffee machines simply because of the environmental impact.....but they are convenient.

If it were me, I'd look into machines that use pods or grinds rather than capsules. Hamilton Beach machines seem pretty good (my friend has one) and they have several single serve coffee machines available. 

Here's a link to help you decide. 

https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/best-single-cup-coffee-maker/

@Julie1525 

One more thing to add............. unless you are keen to provide good fresh coffee, the most simplest option would be to just provide instant 🙂 

Henry and I really like our coffee and compared to bad drip coffee (where the grinds are old or stale), Starbucks Via is better. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 , what is Starbucks 'VIA? Is it packets?

@Julie1525 

Yes 🙂 It's actually pretty decent coffee~ even if it's instant. I especially like that they are in individual packets. 

https://athome.starbucks.com/coffees-by-format/starbucks-via-instant/

@Julie1525 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

These KCups are not plastci so fine for environment.  Sold on Amazon.  Review are amazing.  Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TGDXMU/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

@Julie1525 

It is nice that you have coffee. Definitely limit the amount you make available.