how much to refund for a broken oven?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

how much to refund for a broken oven?

My current group of guests who are staying for two nights called me earlier today to let me know the oven is not working. They were just getting ready to cook so I understand it is a huge inconvenience- they already bought the groceries, had menu planned. I will bring them a smaller portable oven tomorrow but I do think compensation is due. They paid $300 per night which is a decent deal for the size of the place and it being holiday weekend but not cheap either by the time you add local taxes and fees. Thoughts?

21 Replies 21
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Inna22  can you get someone to

scoot over and take a look?  I’ve had a couple of folks that reported things didn’t work but they had switched off at the wall - one by pushing a breadbin against the switch.  All sounds a little suspicious. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Amanda660 @Marit-Anne0 I don't think so. Usually I am the first to get suspicious but they facetimed me and it seemed truly broken. The technician was just there to change that very knob and the same technician just "fixed" that dishwasher. They also took a picture of the error message on the dishwasher and it is same from before. Just bad luck for me I guess.I sent my housekeeper to wash dishes midday for them but obviously can not have her there on stand by. I also offered to bring disposable plates, forks, cups ets but I do advertise a fully stocked kitchen.

Oh dear @Inna22  that is a serious bout of bad luck.  Hopefully, your guests will be of the understanding kind.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I feel for you, @Inna22, and your guests must be pretty peeved. Some had originally suggested that the faulty oven was fairly insignificant and applied a 99% rule. I'm afraid I don't buy this and I'd be pretty miffed with anything but a significant discount. 

I think you're probably looking at 50% plus a coffee shop gift card etc. to say sorry.

Good luck in getting though this with your sanity intact! 

Thank you, @Gordon0 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Yes, the $$ back to guests has probably gone up but I’d certainly be expecting to pass some of that cost back to the repair person who told you you had working appliances when you don’t. 

@Kelly149 I would have much rather had him just come out over the weekend and fix it but he was pretty dismissive of my complaints and felt he did nothing wrong. When he came to fix something last time, he just wondered into the apartment. I gave him a code before but he always told me when he was coming. This time he just walked in. Luckily there were no guests. Otherwise I might have faced account suspension for unauthorized entry