how to navigate multiple dwellings laws?

how to navigate multiple dwellings laws?

hi guys! 

fresh new super host here and super excited about it! looking to purchase my first property here in New York in the near future and was curious if anyone is familiar with listing multiple properties on Airbnb in New York specifically. Does the law apply differently to rentals than to owners? Ideally I would like to start growing into other cities in terms of properties and was wondering if anyone could shine a light on this for me or point me towards s

3 Replies 3

not sure why the end cut off and i can't edit it but i was just wondering if anyone could share some insight or valuable resources! thanks 🙂 happy hosting!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Shean-and-Austin0 I believe NYC has very restrictive laws on short term rental. Be sure to check on your local area laws before you buy. I think in NYC you are not supposed to rent for less than 30 days, and I believe you are also supposed to be living on the premises as well. I am not sure what region of NY you are talking about, but do check the local regs..

In NYC

For entire apartments to be compliant with the current multidwelling law it would need to be in a 1 or 2 family building.

The C of Os of buildings constructed after 1938 define "transient" rental also make sure you review the buildings C of O if it has been updated on a pre-1938 building.