i was scammed

Beverly28
Level 2
New York, NY

i was scammed

I recently had two guests spend approximately ten days in my home which I live in as well. The two women stayed in one queen sized bed in a room adjacent to another guest and the three women shared a bathroom. On day TEN, one of the women spoke to me as i was sweeping my yard.  She said, you have a beautiful home and i really enjoyed staying here except for one thing.  I said, what is it?  She said " everything is nice and clean, and beautiful but, I dont know maybe you have bed bugs? She lifted her shirt and showed me a rash on the small of her back.  Aghast, I was immediately apologetic as I had never had any evidence or complaint of any type of bugs in my home in three years.  She said to me, "Dont worry, your home is beautiful, its not a big deal!"  I assured her that I would refund her money, and did so right away.  After she left, I called Orkin (exterminators) and had them come out to treat my home. The exterminator went throughout my home and even through my portion of the house and FOUND NO EVIDENCE of bedbugs in my home.  I felt like such a sucker!  I mean, just because I have a good rating I let these two scam me for fear that I would get trashed in a review.  They stayed in my home for free because I didnt want to take a ratings hit.  I thought about it later and you know how hindsight is; Why hadnt they mentioned it at ANY time during the stay?  has this happened to anyone else?  How should i have handled this?

16 Replies 16
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Never ever refund a guest on the last day of their stay for something they could have reported on day 1, 2, 3, @Beverly28

Possibly they didn't mention it because they had intended to get a refund. If something is wrong and guests don't want to stay at a place, they usually get in touch with Airbnb right away.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

You are so right 100%

Youre correct, and now since i have the gift of hindsight, they only had good things to say all week.  I routinely check on my guests so as to ensure everything is good.  Well, LESSON LEARNED.

thanks

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Marzena You are so right never refund money , and for the new Host don't worry so much we are all learning as well,for the guest look out because we are getting tried of BS you know what I mean 

Host and guest we must work together respect my house and my house well respect you

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Terrible, bloodsucking guests. Unfortunately there are some people who are Professional scammers. I leave a bad review and thumbs down because they will just move onto the next place and scam the next person again.

I completed an online police report on the scammers I had this weekend. Screwed me out of 3 days of income!!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The worse part @Beverly28 they preyed on your genuine kindness; their worse offence.

thanx Fred.  I really felt awful, although embarrased.  Eespecially when you try and do your best for people. We've all heard the AWFUL Airbnb stories, and always try to not be a part of that.

Much appreciated

@Beverly28 sorry to hear what happened to you. Seriously why people do this kind of stuff.

This is one of my biggest fear on hosting because as you I have read so many scary Airbnb situations.
In this case, I guess it is important to review them so other people are alert about this kind of people.

- - - - Planning to visit Tokyo, check my listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21581868 - - -

Charls0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Beverley,
I just had the same thing twice! The first one was exactly the same, about Bed Bugs and the other said I had cockroaches!. I was so freaked out both times that I also called the exterminators! I didn't give them thier money back, but I immediately let them cancel thier bookings, refused any request and lost about 800$. I immediately called Airbnb, and all they said is that I should give them a bad review!..seriously!..I checked thier profiles later and they just changed thier names. So, there was really no help at all.

They "changed their names?"  Please explain.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Interpol.... @hotmail.com ? I don't think so dear. 

Maureen233
Level 2
Florida, United States

I have now had 2 scammers who have faked bed bugs and gotten free housing on Airbnb. It’s the latest in getting the homeless a place to stay. My last couple Giancarlo Caputi an eyelash “artist” and his gf from Miami brought their food pantry box of food with them. They used my place one night, booked the whole Labor Day weekend. Complained of a bed bug, sent a YouTube video to Airbnb and got a full refund leaving me with no payment, having to pay the maid, and Airbnb telling me they will now close my site unless I get an inspection. This is the second one who has pulled this scam! I am no longer renting to 21-30 year olds ! Done!

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Beverly28@Maureen233@Charls0  I have been hosting for a couple years , and after reading about numerous posts like this it seems to occur more frequent with long term stays, that is why I changed my maximum stay to 1 to 4 nights only.

i would suggest to all hosts to do the same , it is better to be safe than sorry, no matter how tempting a long term request might be. 

Rubén