inaccurate review on cleanliness

Laura13
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

inaccurate review on cleanliness

My last guest gave my apartment three stars to "cleanliness". I was dismayed to find it because my apartment is as shine and clean as a hospital. I'm not kidding, you can lick the floor and won't find a speck of dust in it. I, myself, do the whole cleaning, I don't rely in anybody else for cleaning because I want to make sure what I'm giving to my guests (and if there was any complain, I would know first hand what I'm talking about. So I know). As a matter of fact, my guest was a very friendly guest, so I wrote her to comment my surprise in her decision (really, because when we said good bye she had said she would write a stellar review. So I was just baffled). She replied saying she had decided to lower the grade one star down (not two stars!) because she thought I could do an update on the kitchen and bathroom. Of course that doesn't have anything to do with cleanliness, you can have an old sink that is a nice and shiny as a new one (which is the case in my apartment). When I told her that she unfortunately used a very sensitive category to give a lower grade (and of course no one would imagine that she was not referring to cleanliness but to her own opinion about decoration) she said she regretted and insisted it was only one star down, not two. She had also lowered the grade of Accuracy (down to four stars), and she denies having done that. She says she's pretty sure that for all the other categories she gave five starst. Right now I am a Super Host and I worked very hard to win the badge. So I'm afraid that having her bad grading may hurt my reputation in the long run (Eventually, having half a star cut off in cleanliness would make very difficult to compete in my town). She said she would write Airbnb to complain about the grading because it appears to be different from what she chose (four stars for Cleanliness and five for Accuracy). In addition to that, is there anything I can do? Complain to Airbnb automatic grading? Just forget? This is really a shame.  
This is my listing, in case you want to have a look to it:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3142861

19 Replies 19

We have a reviewer that gave every category 2 stars because he didn't like the location.

The reviewer admitted it in the messenging and said as much in his review of us.

So for us we have all 4 and 5 star reviews except the one 2 star review, it's annoying someone will always have an issue and not report it accurately through the review system.

Linda-And-Greg0
Level 3
Castro Valley, CA

Thank you all for your insight.  We're new Airbnb hosts and just had our first negative Cleanliness review (thankfully, the guest didn't downgrade the stars).  We use the European duvet cover system for our travel trailer bed - it's tidier and more efficient and the cover is washed after every guest.  The guest wasn't familiar with this and thought we forgot the top sheet. Plus, we use a down comforter and, no matter how good the duvet protector, there are always a few (and I mean a few) small feather bits that get out.  Since the duvet cover is dark, he thought this was lint and that the "quilt was dirty." Neither he nor his wife contacted us during their stay to ask about the bedding. They waited until they left to post the complaint.  Sigh.

What I learned is that I need an explanation of the bedding system in the House Rules and the down duvet has now been replaced with an alternative and we are asking people to please contact us immediately if they find something out of sorts. 

Can't retrain everyone, but can work on one guest at a time :).

i have goose down duvets for all of my rooms, and I absolutely love them. They're cool in summer and warm in winter. And yes, they're light as....you guessed!

Easily the sexiest covers I've ever owned.

I compliment you on both your taste, and your patience.

There is always someone who does not "get it". They want hotel service, including acres of Wabasso. Home hospitality is out the window.

And the fact that they complained after the fact speaks volumes. My sister had an apt description not fit for print here along the lines of No F'ing Class.

I would include the fact you offer such a lovely luxury to your guests in my description. It is a thoughtful gesture. If they want a top sheet, simply have a folded one next to the towels. 

Cheers1

I have only been doing Airbnb for a couple of months but I am totally frustrated with the rating system and how subjective it is. My rental is an older travel trailer. My first 3 guests gave me 5 stars on cleanliness, and then the fourth guest gave me a one and the fifth gave me a three. Obviously everyone has different standards and expectations and I am being penalized for not having a place that is shiney and new. All the bedding is clean and new and the bathroom is clean. No one that gave me a low cleanliness rating gave me any specific feedback about what needs to be cleaner. The star system is useless.

Jeannette77
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

I am super frustrated, first guest this weekend and gave us a 1! We had a cleaner come for 5 hours the day before and put all new sheets. Not to mention the master bathroom is only 3 months old. I don't even know how to improve a 1!then when I politely asked the guest for feedback I didnt get any...