instant book trick used by guests (?)

Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

instant book trick used by guests (?)

Hi Guys,

I have instant book activated on a couple of apartments and have noticed a trick guests are using.

They select 1 person on the booking confirmation but in the text they say things like "Hey, we are a group of friends visiting...".

Our price is based on number of guests.

I say it is a trick because the last 2 guests to do this were experienced users of Airbnb (at least 4 previous bookings each) and i can only feel this has worked for them in the past.

Then, when i ask them to adjust their booking to the correct number of guests, they act all surprised.  The last one to do it cancelled the booking and the one today tells me he cannot "find" the acceptance button for the price adjustment, now it is a standoff.  I feel the host is in the weaker position unable to cancel the booking without some form of penalty.

Anyway, i flag this more for Airbnb to read because it is annoying and a time waste.

I can only feel sorry for new Airbnb hosts that use instant book and miss this or just accept it.

59 Replies 59
Marina148
Level 2
Washington, DC

I dislike the instant booking and this is one of other reasons.  f I were you I  would put very clear  in my description that price listed in the PERSON and you reserve the right to modify the price id more people are showing up.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Marina148 IB is just a quicker way to get to the same results. 

It doesn’t matter what our listing says, because Airbnb will not back their Host.

Olga28
Level 6
Kissimmee, FL

As long as it's an instant book, as a host you can cancel without penalty if you are uncomfortable with the guest. This includes the guest not being honest about the number of people in their party. If it happens again, just call AirBnB and explain the situation. They will reach out to the guest and if they don't want to play fair, the reservation will be cancelled without penalty to you (the host). 😊

How in the world do you 'Just call Airbnb?' I have a terrible time figuring out how to contact anyone who works for Airbnb.

I would love to know how. I have a question tonight that I can't find an answer to.

Margaret16
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

There is a list of phone numbers at this site:

http://all-about-airbnb.com/post/138799279996/airbnb-support-resources-local-phone-numbers-and-email...

I just called and resolved something. There are numbers for every country.

Good luck!!

Janine

The very best and quickest IMHO way to contact Airbnb is via Twitter. Follow @Airbnbhelp then you can direct message them. No matter what time I DM them someone always answers - usually within 15 mins max. Hope this helps.

Cathy

When I was appointed a 'SuperHost,' the AirBnb email carried a priority phone number for contacting them. I see that you to are a Superhost, so go back and look in the email?

What number do you call?

Obviously this user has not contacted Airbnb customer service.... there is nothing easy with canceling a reservation especially after the guest has checked in with his additional guests that were not on the booking

And even if it was possible / easy - how would the host rent out their unit immediately to avoid loss

the underlying problem here is check-in, when you check into a hotel - you go thru the reception and validate your booking (including a photo ID), and if need be make adjustments to the booking and pay difference BEFORE getting access to room

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marcus0 Hi, I honestly think that the way we communicate does a lot to determine our professional stance towards guests.

Especially with Instant Book, I would make sure that my message after booking confirms again clearly that you are not easy  to push over. I'd say something like (and I'm making up and assuming things along the way):

"Thanks for your booking  for yourself, Mike. As you read in our House rules there will be a mandatory ID check upon arrival. Also note again that we do not allow unbooked/unregistered guests on the property."

(In the House rules you add "... otherwise this leads to immediate nullification of the booking")

When they write about being a group:

Hi Mike, of course it isn't a problem to bring 3 more guests. As you will have seen in my listing, there is a small per additional person cost per night resulting in 4x....... plus Airbnb fees.

I'll just change the reservation for you, and all you have to do is accept by following the notification sent to you by Airbnb.

I will also need to know their full names in advance.

However, the other 2 people in your party will not be allowed to stay in the apartment, since that is legally not allowed. They would have to find another accommodation.

If you guest hasn't responded within a few days, send them another message asking if the group changed their mind. When meeting them for check in, and the reservation is still not accepted, you simply tell them "Oh, no problem, let's just fix that and pull out your device and re-send the change. And don't let them into the accommodation until they have accepted while you're there.

Of course it's always difficult when being an off-site host, unless you have somebody in the building with an eye on everything or have a security camera on the entrance. 

If it's easier for you to stand up for yourself and your prices, consider yourself the  business that you are.

(PS: for my own information - There have been so many posts by hosts as well as the media saying the city of Berlin does not allow the renting of whole apartments anymore? since you are able to rent a couple of apartments, does that mean that it is still legal after all?)

Hi @Andrea9 thanks for your extensive response.  Yep, i am pretty firm with these happenings, just wanted to post it more for new hosts to read 🙂

The Berlin goverment has killed holiday apartments in Berlin, the only winners have been hotels as there has been no significant drop in rents or availabilities for the local population and no large scale social housing construction underway.  Only a few holiday apartments can legally continue (this may change), but most not, we have had quite some legal costs!  The majority on Airbnb are illegal and will sooner or later be caught, fines are significant.  Legal appeals are coming but some time away.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Thanks @Marcus0, still sounds like a pretty complicated situation in Berlin.

Hi Andrea,

I love your reply to Marc comment regarding this instant book tricks,at least with this your write up regarding the house rule,guest will not be able to use does tricks of instant booking.

Regards,

Jide,

From Lagos,Nigeria.