is there a smartlock that FULLY intergrates with airbnb??

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

is there a smartlock that FULLY intergrates with airbnb??

... that i dont need a 3rd party app for? from a cusomer point of view having to endlessly download and register apps is tiresome, also being an aprtment my property needs a key to be picked up before getting to the smartlock so i dont want to make the process more longwinded than it needs to be.

failing that is the august app easy to use set up?? cheers

13 Replies 13
Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

anyone??

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

anyone at all??

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

wow.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Greg306  Sorry you're not getting any answers, Greg, that's kind of unusual here, especially for a simple, straightforward question. I wish I could offer some advice, but I know nothing about smart locks- I'm a home share host and use keys. 

Have you used the search function here? I know there have been threads about smart locks before.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I've never heard about such a device also.

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

hi thanks for your reply, yes I did search and found a post from 2016 but nothing was mentioned... thought times might have moved on from then.

now having thought about it... I doubt it will actually happen due to airbnb not wanting to get involved in potential liability issues 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Greg306  Is it not practical for you to have a simple lockbox you can change the code on for each guest? Rather than having to go pick up a key or using an app? 

Personally I would never book a place that required me to download an app to gain access. There's too many things that can go wrong. Guest's phones can be out of charge, they may not be getting a signal, and believe it or not, not everyone uses a smart phone. 

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

no its not practical. plus its obvious what is inside the box. im not a big fan off lock boxes

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Amanda1868
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

@Greg306 Newer host here (and US based) but we installed a Yale lock which has a full integration with AirBnb. There are still some parts of the Yale system that seem to be partnered with August. You could have it where they need to download the Yale Access app or buy an additional keypad (we went with the Yale Assure with Keypad) and ONLY use keypad access. I personally would never download an app for a single Airbnb, so I wasn't going to consider anything that required an app.

We didn't have it set up before our first booking so I just added a temporary key code for the first guest. But each booking after the first has gotten an automatic code generated and sent to them in an Airbnb message. This code starts at check-in time and ends at your check-out time. You can go in there and manually change times if you have offered an early check in or check out. We are on our 4th guest since joining Airbnb last month, and no one has had an issue getting in. If anyone did, I can do a remote unlock from my phone. Hope that helps!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Greg306 we use ResortLock from EdgeState. It automatically generates codes for Airbnb reservations, and you can also set it up to automatically send the guest the code-- but only immediately on booking, which I don't prefer. It does not require any app, or even wifi or bluetooth.

Greg306
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

im trying to also be discrete... neighbours and the block managmet company dont like airbnb and nothing says airbnb like a KEYPAD. so i like the design of the august one but its a pain having to operate with 3rd party software 

Denny69
Level 2
Pembroke Pines, FL

Why doesnt Airbnb list locks with integration?  I mean this cannot be a difficult page to build, plus it would be a good service to owners?