kitchen vs. kitchette

Robyne1
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

kitchen vs. kitchette

We have a kitchette not a full kitchen (so no oven/stove but we do have a microwave, sink, fridge, coffee maker, toaster, tea pot).  There is no way to explicitly say this in the amenties section. I noticed also that the "additional amenities" that you can check off (like refrigerator) do not show up on the listing.  Any ideas about how best to communicate the amenities we have so that folks are not disappointed?

Thanks, Robyne

12 Replies 12
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Just contact Airbnb they can help you set it up or how to explained it to the guest good luck

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

List all amenities you can and put those that cannot be ticked off in your description, @Edwin57

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robyne1 yes, there is a way to do this. See my listing for an example

Thanks!  Great tips.  I've found that people don't read particularly well but I think if adjust my text as you have done, it will be more clear. 

Cheers,

Robyne

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

In the rules section, you can specify what things your kitchen is missing in the "limited amenities".

I found it really helpful to add a "cliffs notes" of things that might surprise/dissatisfy at the top of my house rules. Since guests sign off on this before booking, it helps immensely:

"Before booking: Know that Nested is the second story of a two story house. It is small (~440sf), self-sufficient and private, but doesn't have a full kitchen (no range or kitchen sink), there's Wi-Fi, but no TV and shower but no tub. I live downstairs with Izzy the cat. She is not allowed upstairs, but I can't guarantee it's allergen-free."

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I agree there could be a more descriptive way Airbnb could have to differentiate between a full kitchen vs. a kitchen.

I have the opposite problem. I must show a picture of my oven to prove that I have a "real" full service kitchen.

Most guests just need a kitchenette for their light needs : a microwave, a sink and small reefer. 

Most guests do not value a full sized kitchen.  They're not going to make a Thanksgiving turkey, nor would I want them to.

If I could do it over again, I would rip out my kitchen.

Kaye21
Level 1
New Zealand

Hi Everyone, I'm new to Hosting too. Could someone let me know if it is "acceptable" to list my place as having a "Kitchen" even though I don't have an oven/stove so really it's a Kitchentte? I too, have a microwave, sink, fridge, toaster, kettle etc. so light lunches/breakfast is Ok but I specifically don't want meals cooked in the apartment. I'm nervous about ticking the "Kitchen" in the Amenities section at the top? However, our bookings have dried up since I un-ticked "Kitchen" I'm at a loss as to know what to do??

@Kaye21, I understand the dilemma you face: Remove the "Kitchen" check: lose bookings. Add the "Kitchen" check: risk a bad rating from a guest who feels misled.

It would almost be better if there were some central authority who would decide if it were acceptable for you to add the "Kitchen" item. As it is, my understanding is that it is mostly your judgement call.

I looked at your listing and I see you have done what you could to explain in more than one place exactly what you are offering as far as cooking equipment. I hope your clear explanations at least avoid having guests feel misled, which is really what everyone wants.

Hi Matthew

Thanks for your reply. You have put my mind a rest a lot. How would one go about asking Airbnb to add a "Kitchenette" tab to the Amenities section? It seems to be a point of contention for a lot of Hosts but as I am new to Hosting, I'm not sure how this all works. Thanks again. Kaye

@Kaye21, as to asking AirBnB to add a "Kitchenette" amenity option (which is a great idea), I have heard that the "Host Voice" section of this Community is the place to do that.

I can't speak to how well AirBnB listens to postings there, but that is the specific place they have designated for requests like yours.

(The "Host Voice" can be found at the bottom of the "Discuss" menu)

I know this doesn't specifically address the original question of how to indicate a kitchenette, but some of the discussion also touches on the desirability of having a full kitchen.

Personally, I would think the desirability of a full kitchen would mainly depend on what kind of guests your listing gets.

If you get mainly business travelers or people who like to go out to restaurants and bars, a full kitchen would have little value.

If you get a lot of families with small children, a kitchen becomes much more desirable.

@Robyne1

I have a full kitchen in my shared home private room listing, and I allow limited kitchen use. I just explain this in detail in the description. Guests are not allowed to use my oven - just microwave, electric kettle and gas stove (pots/pans) for simple meals which I define as meals with prep+cook time 30 mins or less such as pasta, eggs, noodles etc. During early communication with potential guests, I go thru most of these points with guests to make sure they've read my listing details and house rules. Even though I host mostly long-term guests, allowing only limited kitchen use hasn't ever been a problem.