knowing the identity of a guest

Colleen194
Level 1
Owings Mills, MD

knowing the identity of a guest

As a brand new host, can information about the guest be provided to the host.  I know that Air BNB asks for information from the guest but is that information able to be accessed by the host.

6 Replies 6
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Colleen194, I doubt it - that would probably breach privacy laws. We have access to name and contact details, but any other ID information is not accessible by hosts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen194 Not exactly sure what information you're referring to, as Kath said, full name, ID, are not available to hosts, but you can ask for them directly from a guest before approving their booking, as well as a clear profile photo, if they don't have one on site, if you choose. If you get an inquiry or a booking request, one of the first things to do is click on that guest's profile and read any past reviews they may have, which will give you an idea of the kind of guests they are. Sometimes they're new to Airbnb and won't have any reviews, in that case, you'll want to dialogue with them through airbnb messaging to get some read on them. If you are using Instant Book, you can specify in your settings that only guests with verified ID, and previous good reviews are allowed to IB.

It's also good to ask guests what brings them to your area, if they don't volunteer that information. 

Here's an example, culled from past messages received from guests, of a really good first guest communication. Most won't be this great, but I'm lucky to get a lot in this vein. This guest turned out to be just as lovely as her first communication.

"Hi Sarah, when I read your descriptions of the place, my heart jumped with joy :-)! I couldnt hope for anything more amazing, to be honest. I am a young woman from (XXX), who is coming to Mexico for a retreat/coaching training at Haramara. I am coming a few days early and would love to stay at Sayulita. I am a nature loving graphic designer/coach-to-be and I love creative activities (drawing, dancing, composing music, writing...) and meeting wonderful people. I would really love to stay at your place. Sending you warm greetings!  XXX"    (name and guest's home country withheld by me)

Hello Sarah,

Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry.  As a first time host I was unclear as to "getting to know the guest" and whether my questions might be in violation to privacy.  I did, however, desire  to have communication with them so that I would be comfortable.  Your reply really has helped me and I now know I may ask questions of them and feel secure about hosting.  Thanks for taking the time to address my concern.

@Colleen194

I've not had any trouble getting the information I need from guests directly. ABB collects personal information for their own use. They don't do any sort of background checks or verifications that are useful to hosts so it is up to the host to verifiy people coming to stay. ABB is just a platform to connect people and handle payments. Nothing more~

Most of my guests were very upfront about the purpose of their visit - I'd be reluctant to host anyone who acted like they had something to hide from me. I make it clear that if guests want impersonal anonymity then they should go to hotels or guesthouses, not expect to be a welcome guest in my home. 

Thank you so very much.  You have made a good point.  I guess I am a little shy just getting started as a host.  I fee much more comfortable.

Dimitri75
Level 1
Chania, Greece

Hey guys, just a quick question if anyone can help... I had a great guest at my apartment that left afew days go.Really great couple, easy going, no problem at all. As I forgot to ask them to leave their permanent address and I'd number for tax purposes as is required by Greece's law, I sent them a message about the details but they refused to give it to me and said I should consult Airbnb about the details. Any ideas?