listing hotels on airbnb

Answered!
Mark-And-Jeanne0
Level 3
Carter Lake, IA

listing hotels on airbnb

Since when does AirBnB allow commercial hotels and motels to list their rooms on this site?  I found a listing (Inn by the Airport) in Carter Lake, IA, that appears to be a private residence.  But when you read the reviews, it is clear this is a hotel.  The person lists it as an Entire House/Apt -- clearing tying to make potential guests believe they will receive the AirBnB experience.

I reported this as a suspect listing, but so far it is still there.  

I didn't realize that AirBnB accepted these kinds of properties.  It seems completely contrary to the spirit and philosphy behind this site.  However, if they are going to allow this, then there should be a specific category that states this is a commercial Hotel/Motel -- not a private residence.

How does anyone else feel about this?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Sadly it is happening all over and Airbnb does not restrict it 😞

As long as Airbnb get a cut then they probably won't restrict it

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

It wasn't hard to find that listing on AirBnB, and it is clear that it is a Hotel Room, not a private home.   The photographs are of a Hotel Room, and Hotel Breakfast Bar.  The Reviews point out that it is a Hotel, even if the "Host" keeps refering to it as "My Place"

You never know...  it could be a crummy old hotel... once part of a nation-wide franchise, that is now independently owned and operated.  There are plenty of them everywhere, and the owners do everything they can to try and bring business to their doors.

It seems that no matter what AirBnB related forum you visit, you'll always find someone who is willing to step up and define exactly who the platform is or was designed for...  "That listing doesn't belong here.  He has two cottages at the lake... he's renting out his second home, and not his spare bedroom"  People get down-right angry that there are listings that don't fit their own personal belief of exactly what AirBnB is.  But AirBnB is a wide variety of experiences, all woven into a network where guests can find exatly what they're looking for.

I've been with AirBnB for almost seven years now.  I'm always looking for an effective marketing tool, and when I heard about them, I thought I'd give them a try.  It turned out to be one of the best marketing platforms I use.  Part of the process involved verifying who I am, and exactly what I have to offer (In my case, three seperate Vacation Apartments in a small Four unit apartment building my wife and I own and live in)   AirBnB took a look at me, and decided that I indeed qualify to list my apartments on the website.  If they didn't think I belonged, they never would have accepted me.  And if they decided to shift their focus, they could have excluded my listing long ago.  Instead, they've broadened their offerings, to the point where you can now literally sleep in a Van, Down by the River, in New York City....  or rent a palatial retreat in the Mountains of Idaho.  You can sleep in a Tent in Tibet... a Treehouse in Thailand...  a Hacienda in Mexico.... or the spare bedroom of a gracious retired couple in Iowa.   The offerings are limitless.

My suggestion is this....  Don't worry about the types of listings you find on AirBnB.  Don't try and pidgeon-hole their focus.  Don't try to define the "Spirit and Philosophy of the site" and insist that others conform to that one undefined uniform standard.    Instead think about what you can do to make your listing stand out in that sea of offerings.  What do you have to offer that a guest won't find in a "Days Inn" down the road?  What is it that makes you special? What attributes can you accentuate and improve upon, to make your listing better than it was when you began?   We're always changing... always evolving.... always getting better.  Me? I don't want to stay at the "Days Inn"...   They can advertise all they like, but I'm not their guest...  I'm going to keep looking at listings till I find what I'm looking for.

This is a great response. I'm looking into hosting. Are you available to chat about some questions I have to get started? I'm looking for someone not working for Airbnb but someone experienced with hosting a non-typical listing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tara

I am living in Hue city, Viet Nam, and owner of the homestay on Airbnb. And we have a difficult time for house renting because a lot listing is not homestay, almost is a hostel, hotel's room. 😞 

Hi Hufen - I’ve noticed this also and I report the hotels to Airbnb today as I was 1 of 10 listings on Airbnb then the hotels loaded 59 rooms with various tourism photos and even using “fake” owners.  People who show up “owning” about 20 of the rooms. It is appalling that Airbnb has fallen for this cheap ruse. But I am local and I know the hotels and huge resorts trying to cheat the tourists. 

I used to be 1 of 10 listings in Williamsburg - Wyndom hotels and resorts piled over 50 listings and I’m angry and reporters them all to Airbnb. I live here and all the fake “owners” lived in California or New York not Virginia. Wyndom loaded all these rooms using different rooms and outdoor photos including Colonial Williambirg to obscure the same old same old rooms to the visitor. 

Tons here in Key West. Airbnb was suddenly flooded with them and my listing got buried. I complained. I've seen less of them, but don't know the reasoning. Our local govt is pretty strict.

Mark -- I have to disagree with you -- at least partially.  If you read some of the reviews that were listed for the Days Inn property, some people were mislead that it was a private residence -- not a hotel.  As I suggested in my initial posting:  simply state that it is a commercial hotel/motel by having that kind of discriptor available in the drop-down list.  It will clairfy what kind of property is being offered.  I really don't care if Trump Tower is listed -- just truthfully describe what kind of a property it is and let the customer decide if that is the experience they seek.  Just don't mislead them by misrepresenting it.

We aren’t angry at the competition, but instead are frustrated that the very tool we use in order to afford living is the same tool that’ll make it too expensive to live. If there’s someone renting out perfectly good units with no one actually living in it in my city then people with the means to convert entire buildings or a good population of people starting “renting” multiple apartments at once then the supply goes down for people that actually want and/or live here. This drives up the cost of rent. Boston is already too expensive and it could get worse if this becomes a thing. 

Rent out your second home, rent out that dusty old motel you bought out of foreclosure, but please for everyone’s sake don’t rent out multiple apartments that you don’t use in crowded cities where rent is already too high. 

Sandra496
Level 2
Corvallis, OR

I expect this will continue.  I have had a less than successful experience at Airbnb hotel listing.  It does not fit the community.

There are 7 characteristics to self employment/independent contracting and Airbnb cannot violate any of them or they could be found the employer of everyone with a listing on their site. One is supervising another is "providing the place of employment".   

Airbnb does accept hotels as listings and it sucks. I have a cottage on a lake and I am competing with nearby Christmas Mountain Village Resort in the Wisconsin Dells, WI that have listed a dozen or so cabins (they have hundreds and hundreds of them) within my area. Personally, I dont think it's fair because a large outfit like they are can afford their own marketing and advertising. If all the resorts in the Dells did this, the area would be flooded with rentals and my lake cottage listing would be buried.

However, the downside to staying in the Dells are the sheer amount of tourists and the lack of availability vs. a private home in a quiet neighborhood. Therefore, a guest staying at the resort might have to deal with lack of availability in the summertime, whereas I am open and available for IB's. I can also accomidate long term monthly guests at half the cost the resorts would charge. It is a big savings and many business travelers really like that.

There is the big letdown of the noise and the crowds from tourists to deal with and uncomfortable beds, too. That cozy cabin at Christmas Mountian may be next door to thier campground site. The neighboring cabins always have people that stay up all night carrying on, and kids are running around screaming first thing in the morning. It's a beautiful cabin stting, but will be a nightmarish experience for those looking for some peace of mind and relaxation.

The trick is to list your rental with a little creativity. Give it a catchy name and a beautiful cover photo. List all the private ammentiies that you can afford and set your rental price to compete with the big hoteliers. The map is listed by price because our guests are price shopping, and they will pick you if you are even $10 cheaper than your nearby hotel competitor.

I have a co-worker that will be going to a football game in Green Bay, WI in December. To his dismay, he discovered that all the hotels in Green Bay are booked solid during football season. Then he remembered I told him about my Airbnb, and he found himself a decent place to stay at a resaonable rate with an Airbnb host in the same town. He thought it was fantastic. There is a great advantage to hosting a private home with Airbnb, even with competition from hotels.

I'm a novice that is looking at listing as a host and this post is along the lines of my question.  My parents have a bed & breakfast.  It is on a working ranch, but is an established b&b.  They have struggled to be noticed as they are off the beaten path and I was wondering if air b&b might be able to help keep them a little busier.  Is this something that is acceptable or is it one that is frowned upon?  

That's exactly the benefit for them. And the added insurance with Airbnb guests.  I stayed in an established BnB in New Mexico and she reflected that listing in Airbnb increased her business by 35% almost overnight.