Suggestions for lock boxes for keys?

Ellen99
Level 2
Sawyer, MI

Suggestions for lock boxes for keys?

Hi,

what kind of system are hosts typically using for providing keys?

Are there certain lock boxes better than others? thanks

8 Replies 8

@Ellen99, we don't provide physical keys.

We use a smart lock (there are several systems) so that we don't worry about lost keys (or copied keys).

You can search on this board for "Smart Lock" for some good discussions, or on Google for "AirBnB smart lock" for a lot of options.

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

We don't use keys, after searching and trying out a few different smart locks, we finally found the absolute best one a few months ago and just absolutely love it!

It syncs with your AirBNB calendar so each time a guest books a stay with you, it automatically sends them an email confirmation with their key code. It auto updates itself and auto switches codes for you when guests check in and check out! Saves me a whole world of time and makes hosting not only super easy on me, but easy and convenient for our guests! 

Here's a link to it for you to check out: 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...

I would consider this a Smart Lock, but I would never use one that didn't have a key backup

Sally261
Level 2
New York, NY

I use an electronic keylock box same as used by the real estate indistry, it is an innexpensive solution with no instalation and still safe as a lock. Have a look here escout. 

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

My situation may be a little different. My rental is an in-law suite attached to my home with a private entrance. If I am not going to be here or if I'm really busy, I put a Master Lock lock box on the railing at 4 pm, which is when guests are allowed to check in and text them the code to let themselves in. I don't leave the box out there long term; just for the day the guest is scheduled to arrive.  If my rental was not attached to my home, I'd go with something like mentioned above.

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YP1VC/ref=asc_df_B0002YP1VC5401028/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&cre...

I would advice against buying igloohome. It was heavily promoted by airbnb but I had a situation where the keylock simply failed while I was travelling away. It refused to come on so the guest could key in the code and my guest was unable to access my apartment. Luckily I had a backup within the neighbourhood with a key. But imagine how horrible that would be for the guest coming from overeseas at night not to be able to get in. I have seen other posts from guest who had the same problem.

I got my cleaner to change the batteries and still no luck. I have not been able to get any sense about what had gone wrong from igloo support and they say they could replace it BUT they are being impossible about demanding I send them a video to show why it isnt working and the hard copy proof of purchase. They wont accept the email advice that When I bought it and have paid by credit card and say they cant open my video attachment. I have already bought a more reliable keysafe and just going to take the loss. DONT BUY IT.

Melanie386
Level 1
Canton, GA

Hey, my situation might be unique.  My unit is a condo, and you have to have a key to enter the building itself, then the same key is used to enter the condo.  I have a manual key vault on the patio wall outside so the guests can access the key.  But, the code is always the same, which is not safe or secure.  I need an electronic key vault where I can store the key but the code changes with each guest.  Any suggestions?  Thanks guys. 

Mel

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I like the Schlage keypad lock: https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE365VCAM619-BE365V-Camelot-Deadbolt/dp/B000NJJ1MQ/

It's secure, it has a physical key backup and it's not over-engineered. It's very easy to instruct a guest how to enter without you being there and saves me a lot of time. I try to avoid dealing with guest keys, they get lost half the time.