lost items

Lhamo0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

lost items

A guest checked in earlier this month for a single day and did not inform me that she is bringing a toddler. I do not mind that at all. however, my key and few other decorative items from the flat are missing and the lady did not respond to me at all since then. Airbnb was not helpful too. They did not refund for the cost incurred. I feel cheated.

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lhamo0in cases like this you should follow few steps:

- contact your guest via ABB resolution center before your next guest arrives. Ask her to pay xx$ for new lock and keys and lost items. It is good to upload the picture of the  bill.

- if she doesn't respond in 72 hours you can involve Airbnb

- after that there is not much you can do. It is up to the Airbnb representatives. They will contact your guest and decide.

- It is allways smart to have security deposit . If you don't have it then Airbnb can not charge her even if they want to. In that case Airbnb can only refund you from Host guarrantee.

Think about taking your guest's photo ID informations at arrival so you have their names. Make them sign a paper where it is stated how many keys they have received, that they have to return them on check out or will be charged xx$ for new locks and keys. Make them sign it. It helps.

Thank you Branka 🙂 I did as you said and got refund although it took sometime. I will be wary of last minute bookings in future. Yes, i have security deposit and that helped. Thank you very much. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lhamo0  I had a look at your listing and I assume that you are talking about a lady called Meredith, a lawyer.  You left her a good review saying that it had been a pleasure to host her and she left you a review saying that you had been a great host.  In your response to her review, you say that you are disappointed that she has not contacted you about the "lost" items - so her "dishonesty" is now out there for people to read about.  Also, all the reviews are dated July and we are now almost at the end of August.  Is it this guest or have you had two allegedly dishonest guests?  Please clarify.

Lhamo0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

It's the same guest and yes, the same lawyer.The guest informed me that she will refund me before I  asked for refund. So i gave a good review in good faith. Once the review was done, I never heard from her again despite multiple attempts to contact. I involved airbnb. Airbnb advised me to sort it with Meredith first. I tried my best and never got a single reply. Frustated, I was compelled to reply to her review hosping for answer. There wasn't any. Long story short, I got my refund via Airbnb although it took months. All sorted in the end. I will be wary of last minute guests. 

Lhamo0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel0  It's the same guest and yes, the same lawyer.The guest informed me that she will refund me before I asked for refund. So i gave a good review in good faith.

Once the review was done, I never heard from her again despite multiple attempts to contact. I involved airbnb. Airbnb advised me to sort it with Meredith first. I tried my best and never got a single reply. Frustated, I was compelled to reply to her review hoping for answer. There wasn't any. Long story short, I got my refund via Airbnb although it took months. All sorted in the end. I will be wary of last minute guests.