moderate cancellation policy refund?

Amy677
Level 1
Saint John's, Canada

moderate cancellation policy refund?

Hello, I just had a guest book for 3 nights and cancel after 1 night due to a change in their plans. Airbnb refunded them 100% for the 2 remaining nights but I don't undstand why. If there were extenuating circumstances shouldn't it have said somewhere in the reservation change notification? This is my first time having a guest cancel after one night to I was surprised that it wasn't 50% for the first night and 100% for the second. Am I misunderstanding the policy?

13 Replies 13
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Amy677  Did they put in the AirBnB messaging system "Change of plans" You should call AirBnB and argue your case for no refund for the 1 day and 50% for the second day. A change of plans is not extinuating circumstances and should not have been refund.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Amy677
Level 1
Saint John's, Canada

They were here for a medical appointment  but when they got to the hospital they told them to go on home and come back in a few weeks (drove 8 hours to get here and are driving back for 8 hours to get home so I feel for them)... maybe that qualifies as extenuating circumstances? They didn't really give a lot of details and I didn't want to pry obviously. I figured that if they had claimed extenuating circumstances that it would say that somewhere on the "change of reservation" request. 

Amy677
Level 1
Saint John's, Canada

Should I call and check anyway do you think just to get clarification or is it too late now that I've accepted the request?

That was not extinuating circumstances. Call!

Amy677
Level 1
Saint John's, Canada

Thank you Letitia, I really appreciate you getting back to me. I've got a call into airbnb and am waiting on a call back 🙂

The problem is that they sent a Change Request instead of straight up cancelled it.  I don't think Airbnb should allow guests to enter date change requests once the reservation is underway (or even within the time frame for each host's cancellation policy).  It is no different than a cancellation, and should be penalised as such.   It's unfortunate circumstances so I understand why you accepted it, but for future reference, I wouldn't.  I'd ask them to cancel it (also because it seems to me Airbnb promotes your listing a little bit when you get a last minute cancellation like that) and say you'd be happy to give them a refund if you're able to re-book, and/or offer them a discount on their next stay.

I just got off the phone with airbnb and you are exactly right, they changed it instead of cancelling it and I didn't know any better so I accepted it - my bad. I didn't want to decline because I was worried about getting a bad review.

I'm gonna chalk this one up to a learning experience and me knowing just enough to be dangerous sometimes lol - they were very nice people and I don't think they realized what they were doing. 

I agree that they probably shouldn't allow guests to change it once they've checked in though.  I seriously doubt I'll make up those two nights' rental. 

Thank you for your input - I really appreciate the advice and assistance 🙂

Here;s some points to keep in mind for future, Hope it helps:

DO NOT CANCEL a reservation, DO  NOT ACCEPT any message about cancelling, changing  or refunding DECLINE it a loophole that comes back to bite you and gives guests back their service fees and/or voids your cancellation policy. DO NOT  REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times they get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end. 

Dolly6
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Thank you!!

Really bad, you loose, and you couldn't rebook the time..Airbnb's cancellation policy needs revision.   Hotels were meant for people like this.  They knew what they were doing. 

They did know the difference between changing and canceling...

Nancy-Louise0
Level 3
Rochester, NY

you should call AIRBNB to disucuss full payment to you. You have to follow the rules and they need to too.  Try the resolution center too.  

If someone would leave and I couln't re-rent the room, that would have been lost revenue for me unexpectedly and that would not be ok with me - hope you get your $ as planned.

Dolly6
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

I have a guest who booked for 5 days. he is arriving today. He called to say he's had a change of plans and will only be staying for 2 nights. I have a moderate cancellation policy. What do I do?