money request for extra guests?

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

money request for extra guests?

So I had a guest who brought in two more people than they reserved (yet again sigh) which carries an extra charge.  Last time this happened, it was a total nightmare because when I sent a money request, the guest grudgingly paid but left a negative review about the presence of outdoor cam (which they have to acknowledge btw before submitted their reservation request) and complained to airbnb who locked down my account so they could conduct their "investigation".  It took 2 weeks to get it back up. Total BS. 

So I changed my listing to make it clear that the guests need to reserve the correct number of people, etc.  and would be charged if they claimed fewer people than actually came.  Anyway I can tell from the cam it happened again, but what I would like to do to avoid another bad review is perhaps send a money request after 14 days (review period) are up. I was going to do nothing, but it just really bugs me. I was also not going to leave a review at all but then changed my mind and left one. 

Just wondering what ya'll think. I don't even know if you can request funds after 14 days??

22 Replies 22
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Melody22 

You can claim funds after 14 days, but as far as I know this is only for damages which is claimed using a specific form. This has a 30 day limit.

You are between a rock and a hard place. If you don't cherish your hosting level, or if you can afford to take a hit on the review - make the claim, now. Your guests run the risk of eviction. They may pay to prevent this.

Prior to this, contact Airbnb, state your case, tell them that the guests are breaking your House Rules (for which they can be evicted, but still get the opportunity to leave a review and they will get a refund of un-used nights) and that you will allow them to stay if they pay your 'additional guest fee' which should always be added to your 'extra fees' section or listed in your House Rules. Tell them that you will be expecting a retaliatory review because of this and you will be expecting their full support as this has happened to you before and you simply won't accept it.

You should send a message to your guests stating that you know they have extra guests staying, the addittional guest fee is $ per. night and you will be sending them a payment request for that value. If they don't pay in full within 'x' hours you will have to ask them to leave immediately.

The cards are in your hand, you need to decide how you want to play them, but your guests face having to leave and go home. Them, having nowhere to stay when it might be late at night, simply is not your responsibility and they should have adhered to your accommodation limits and your House Rules.

As an aside... You NEVER have to justify your House Rules. They are as stated.

Easier to state than to actually do, but you will hopefully find your own satisfactory resolution.

This is all very well - but this summer I was away and it was only on check out that we discovered that the single guest ( given a substantial discount because she was staying on her own for a "meditation retreat) had in fact slept in all 3 beds and used both bathrooms!!

I am still waiting on Airbnb support for my claim of extra guest fee which she had turned down - this after 1 month.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Melody22 

Would you lose many bookings/revenue if you averaged your prices to the 4 person level?

That way you wouldn't need to worry about number of guests.

I thought about that, but my house sleeps six people and sometimes only two people stay, sometimes 4 -6 . So I think I would lose bookings since for 2 people it may be too costly for them. 

I have a two-bedroom small house and have two separate listings - The White House and The White House two bedrooms. I get two listings which is more exposure, and I am super clear/strict in my messaging with people about extra guests.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Please don't wait 14 days and then spring this charge upon them.

Not only is it smarmy, the guests probably won't pay and airbnb probably won't support you.

Just ask for the extra guest charges politely and neutrally.  

It is Airbnb who treated you badly, not these guests.

Well I would argue that the guests treated me badly because they are deliberately breaking the house rules. Esp now that I realize that they were also smoking. 

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

update so I didn't reach out about the extra guests, but I did leave an honest review. When I got back to my home it also reeked with smoke 😞  Very frustrating situation. 

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Having extra guests and/or visitors is the number one complaint we have. The rules are in the House Rules; when we send the check-in information, we repeat the 'no guests'-'no smoking' rules, there is a notice on the refrigerator with another reminder.  

Still, guests bring in other people.  We get responses such as; Well, we didn't think that meant family members. We're just having some people over to listen to music. They're only here to have dinner - put together these business brochures - having a bridal shower - or any number of other excuses.  

Guests last week insisted they were 'surprised' by the rule! Surprised?!  They had family in the city and instead of meeting at the local family member's house for dinner, they invited them to the apartment ,  Instead of accepting they had broken the house rules and going to the local family member's house for meals, they created a huge stink; left the place in a horrible condition.

We've added the line to the house rule on guests detailing friends, family, not a moment, blah blah blah, how much they will be charged per visitor/guest.  

But if guests don't read the rules before they book, what difference can it make?  

We don't know what else we can do that this won't happen.  Any suggestions?

Sorry - I may have usurped the original host's posting. Apologies.  I've started a new conversation on this topic.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

No worries @Cherie71 , thanks for you consideration by making the new topic! 🙂

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Daniela1586
Level 4
Del Rey Oaks, CA

I had this situation before and sent a message to my guests asking why he had additional guests then initially noticed.  I have a front door video camera that caught this.  The guest did admit there was an extra guest and apologized.  He agreed to pay the extra fee of $25 per guest / per night with no  problem.  He also left me a glowing review as I did for him.  We resolved it - end of story.  I'm sorry to hear that your outcome was negative.  Best to be honest and up front with all your guests.  Good luck. 

Thanks greatly Daniela for your suggestions; I modified my description accordingly. I am weary of those that intentionally skirt the system and lie, primarily the 20s group are the worst offenders, especially the "weekend warriors" that want a "flop house". When confronted and a request for money is sent, they claim no receipt. Yet an email is sent to verify the request is sent. Thinking the next time I should give them a shorter time frame to respond prior to evicting them.

Waiting on AIRB&B to resolve this, which is quite bogged down and poor with host support! Any ideas please?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Daniela1586 

...and sent a message to my guests asking why he had additional guests then initially noticed.

Thats a good way to initially broach the subject as its on the Message system.

Where do you display or state your additional guest fee? I ask because unless it is displayed somewhere, then it is just an arbitrary non-disclosed fee. Its great that you managed to obtain your fee from your previous guest, but for other hosts reading, and like we do, you do not already charge per.person per. night, you charge - sleeps 6, charge for 6. (and I could find no mention of any additional fee in your listing).

Any additional guests at $25 is amazingly great value for money, (5% of rates), that $25 will put you over your maximum occupancy rate, which can be at a hosts discretion, but can also invalidate insurance. Our insurance for our whole house operates such that we are insured for 'as many beds that can sleep people', so up to 16, anything over our maximum occupancy for our Airbnb would cause no issue as it would be covered, but it would be wise for other hosts to consider their own positions in this situations regarding just what is at risk for them.

Our additional guest fee is £100 per. person per night. As a deterrent. Roughly half (50%) the accommodation fee per night for 8. A few reasons... 1) We don't want additional guests, 2) We don't have beds for them, 3)We would need to provide bedding for them to sleep on the sofas, 4) We don't want them sleeping on the sofa's. 5) Sure you can cram more people in, but it won't be a comfortable number of people for the space. 6)Any guest sneaking in additional guests will be found out and if that happens I want to make sure that the additional fee is going to be worth the effort and subsequent consequences.

We don't want additional guests. But what are the consequences?

Additional Guests break House Rules - Grounds to ask guests to leave.

8 Guests have arranged their stay months in advance so would be well peeved if asked to leave.

Rather than leave they have a penalty option to pay which pacifies the sofa/bedding/aggravation/review.

They have a choice.

We list the additional guest fee in our House Rules. We also list it as an extra guest fee in our rates, but this doesn't get seen, (perhaps thats where yours is @Daniela1586 ) but is evidently there should any Customer Services care to look. When the guests reserve for 8, I can adjust the maximum occupancy rate and invoke the extra guest charge by updating the booking, or alternatively, send a payment request. Sending a payment request can be a little more fraught as the guest might stall in paying and/or feel the need to make a settlement payment for less.

So, theres not just one strategy at work, and who knows what the situation might be? 

Definitely inform guests about the charges, and make them public somewhere. And cover your back in as many different ways you can, to help you cope with any situation.

@Melody22 @Cherie71