more guests than what was reserved, confirmed...

Joseph8
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

more guests than what was reserved, confirmed...

We have a two guests coming this Saturday for 64 days. We learned this week that there'll be additional people visiting them and and staying in the apartment during their stay (added guests for three weeks).

The initial inquiry was made on March 31 where she does mention that there might be added people. That same day, in our first reply,  we advised her when booking to please put the maximum number of people staying. We did a follow up email checking whether there was interest in booking, etc. She made some requests regarding some changes to the apartment, we agreed and coverted the diningroom into a livingroom. We put a soft hold on the apartment checking in with her periodically to see if she was ready to book.

On May 8th she was ready to book, but requested a discount from $130 to $80/night. Based on the length of stay and number of guests at the time of booking (2 guests and assuming that was it), we gave her a special offer at $89/night. The booking was confirmed on May 10th at $89/ night for 2 guests for 64 nights.

Between May 10 and this week, we would check in with her, provide maps of the area, update her on the weather, etc. However, this past week, she asked about the bathroom situation. We explained that it is a private apartment with a private bathroom. In reply, she mentions that she wanted to because of family visiting and staying in the apartment. We were surprised and referred her back to our initial correspondence as well as all subsequent (all via AIRBNB messages). We explained that we would ask $25 night for additional guests during their stay which would come out to $750. We acknowledge some misunderstanding and are willing to reduce the added cost to $550. She refuses and is willing to pay an added cleaning fee or two.

We find this unacceptable. We are willing to have the issue resolved in arbritation, but she has not agreed. She checks in on Saturday. We connected Airbnb through twitter, and they say that they are looking into the matter. At this point, we are not feeling very comfortable with this situation, or this guests, we feel that we've been more than fair from the outset. We have the apartment listed on Airbnb as well as other similar sites and turned down numerous offers because we had this booking so far in advance. 

Are we wrong here??? I am happy to share our complete communications. 

Thank yoU!

10 Replies 10
Aesha0
Level 6
Dallas, TX

@Joseph8 I do not believe that you are wrong. Your guidelines are clearly stated and she acknowledged that she was aware of them. If I were in your shoes,  I would let the guest know that if they are not willing to pay the additional fee for guests that the reservation will not be able to occur. Before taking that route however, have you actually picked up the phone and tried to call and speak personally with the guest? I would try that first and politely explain your additional guest policy. Many times things are so very easily resolved by simply speaking. If the guest is still not willing to pay the additional cost then you have to ask is this someone that you really want staying in your property if they can not respect the rules set forth. Good luck and I will follow this converstaiton to see how things turn out.

Aesha

Superhost

Dallas, TX  

@Joseph8   From what you have explained I would say no you are definitely not wrong. Seems to me you have bent over backwards to accommodate them already and with a healthy discount for the two on the reservation.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If you can not agree a deal you can not agree a deal, do not cancel, let ABB do it.

David

@Joseph8, it's an unacceptable situation. Contact AirBnB straightaway and ask them to cancel the booking. 

I strongly advise you not try to phone the guest. All correspondence with a guest needs to be conducted via the AirBnB platform. This leaves a legitimate 'paper trail' that AirBnB can follow in the event of any problem or dispute. 

You can reach AirBnB via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Or via Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/?fref=ts

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

Essential reading for hosts.

Contains a link with several international phone numbers (‘Contact AirBnB’).

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Here’s the number for Canada and the US.

+1 (415) 800 5959 / +1 855 424 7262 (emergency toll-free number)

Agreed. Do not phone the guest. Keep all communication on Airbnb and be exceedingly polite and cheery. These people are trying to take advantage of you and this is a great example of why so many hosts outright refuse anyone who asks for a discount. 

@Donna15 SUPER HELPFUL & THANK YOU!!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joseph8......Joseph, experience has taught just about everyone of us hosts that when a potential guest starts demanding things before they have even arrived, their 'requests' become more strident and ever more demanding once they do actually set foot in the accommodation. And I would say from reading thousands of posts on the community forum about just this same topic that in most of these 'prickly guest' scenarios the guest ends up leaving the host well before the booking expires and demands a full refund.

Joseph, I would not host this guest in a fit!!! This booking has disaster written all over it for you.

Get onto your Airbnb help desk, (others have provided you with contact details) explain to them where this guest is determined to flout your house rules and get Airbnb to either relocate them or else cancel their booking....DO NOT CANCEL IT YOURSELF!!!

I know a lengthy booking sounds financially attractive but it could end up as the worst financial decision you have ever made. Remember that tenancy regulations alter for long term renters, and you could well get yourself into a situation where you cannot evict this guest/guests!!!

Joseph, there are many more fish in the sea....don't saddle yourself with a 'Pirahna'....walk away while you have the opportunity.

Cheers.....Rob

Cindy123
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Great advice rob, and i have learnt alot by just reading throught this thread

i am in a similiar situation at present, and i will keep this in mind at all times, if the guest becomes demanding during the booking and enquiry conversation i dont think it will be a fruitful experience, which is what i have  found.  

I am certian guests wouldnt go into hotels and start demanding the move furniture around and want to bring more guests that the rooms accomodate and the hotel would not agree 

I hope Joseph your get an outcome that is pleasing for you,  good luck,

thank you for opening my eyes to more info 

Cindy

Paola4
Level 10
Rome, Italy

@Joseph8

you're absolutely right.Please let us know your feedback on this booking.We can learn so much each time.

Thanks in advance 

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Joseph,

Take Donns's advice.  Doesn't sound like this Guest is willing to go along with any of your or airbnb's rules or contractual agreements. Do not ever correspond outsie of airbnb's email platform as you will not have a record or your dialog.  I would never break my own house rules or airbnb's rules making those rules un-enforceable.  Too many demands for my tast which is a big red flag.  You have already gone way out of your way to accomodate them.  Tell them to cancel as you can not agree to their constantly changing terms. Imagine what it would be like once they showed up? I never let a Guest bully or manipulate me.  The rules are there for our protection as well as theirs.  The rules are also the primary tool that Hosts can utilize to train Guests to be better airbnb Guests as well as keeping them in line. 

Good Luck and happy Hosting,

Eloise at Happy Trails