...my first guest

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

...my first guest

So, I'm in the in the final stretch of my first guest's 2-day stay and I want you all to know that she and her sister have been amazing!

She knew from the beginning that she was my inagural guest. She dealt with my nervousness during the walk-through and communicated (like I asked) through the AirBnB messaging system, and has been a delight to host.

I am assuming I will know more on check-out (re: how she felt) but I was told several times (verbally and through messaging) that we could not have anticipated both her needs and expectations more fully. I am thrilled to have hosted her and her sister! I will be positively rating her upon check-out!

I just kinda needed to tell someone.

Thanks for reading.

23 Replies 23

@Betty90   Betty, its ok.  You don't need to write and say you wish you could "delete" the whole post.  Everyone was NEW to hosting and NEW to the CC at some point and EVERY single host including @Jann3  has been helped by other experienced hosts, including me.   And I would like to help you just as I have helped Jann.  Its my way of paying it forward to the many hosts who've helped me a few years ago when I first started hosting a private room in our home.  I still laugh when I think about the early days 😉

What @Jann3  meant, by "hijacking", is this.  He started a NEW thread by posting some wonderful news about his first guest.  CONGRATS Jann!!!  I am thrilled to read some positive news since most of the CC seems to be flooded with complaints about ABB and guests.  You  (Betty) added to the thread (innocently I am sure) by asking a questions, which is fine on any of my posts, but the best thing to do is to find the PRIMARY POST that addresses your question and see if it has already been asked and answered.  That is what frustrates so many of us who have been here on the CC for years is how many times a new host doesn't do a search FIRST, and just post without understanding how the CC works. 

Its important to understand how the CC works.  There is a great article in the CC on how to get started, how to post your question in the right place, there's even a search bar in the corner that allows you to type in your question where you get links to answers that have been posted by other hosts who also asked the same question 1000xs!  (its ok to laugh now).   You can even click on the HELP tab in your ABB account (instead of the CC) and get the most accurate answer by reading what ABB wrote.  That is what I highly recommend you do FIRST.  Make sense?  Using the HELP tab will take you to the article that best addresses your questions and provides an answer you should be reading.   This is the most common mistake that hosts make.  They don't use the HELP tab in their ABB account first...and they should.  I always go to the HELP tab first.

The good news is that @Jann3 post proves what I am have been saying for 2 years to everyone on this CC.....communicate communicate communicate with your guests.  He is doing everything right with his listing, his house Rules, his hosting service, his attention to detail...(I LOVE THAT !!) (but he is set up for success BECAUSE of the guidance of so many awesome hosts on the CC) .

I do not believe that there can be too many stupid questions that can be asked by a potential guests OR HOSTS, or too much information be given by a guests or host for that matter. However, I did receive a question yesterday by a new booking, about transportation from the airport to my house. (many have asked this).  Instead of giving a written live answer back,  I copied and pasted the paragraph in my listing under GETTING AROUND and sent it to my guests with a side note that every question he could possibly ask me can be found if he takes the time to read my informative listing.  This is how I choose to educate my guests on the brilliant maneuver called "READING".  Yes, He apologized because he got the obvious hint I was conveying.  "Take the time to read what your hosts wrote, it can be very helpful"

EVEN WITH INSTANT BOOKINGS.  I have a very lengthly conversation with even my IB guests to make sure they have truthfully read my House Rules, understand that this is OUR HOME, how serious I am that they follow my House Rules, as well as having a fun chat on the ABB site allows them to get to know my personality and theirs.  I don't understand why more hosts don't do this.  I do this by sending each and every potential guests a few fun and SERIOUS questions.  (No I do not ask what their horoscope sign is."  LOL!!!!

One actual serious question is:  "Do you LIKE cats and dogs?"

Asking that very question for the last 6 months has changed everything for us!!  We will no longer entertain hosting a guests who doesn't like BOTH types of animals.  Have my actual bookings been cancelled by the guests?  Yes, because I asked that VERY QUESTION. In the past, a few guests checked in and left bc they discovered we had a cat running out the house and refunds were given, but NOT ANYMORE!  The good news is, we hosted a guests who said he had cat allergies at check in, but had no reaction whatsoever, and even wrote in his 5 Star review that our home and cat was the cleanest ABB home (including his friends homes) he had ever stayed in and had no reaction whatsoever.  I was thrilled to read that he will be staying with us again for his next medical conference.  

Turns out the guests who did cancel bookings or reservation requests were either allergic to cats or afraid of dogs.  It only proved to me and them, that they hadn't bother to look at the first 4 pics of my listing, nor did they read the heading marked "  OTHER THINGS TO NOTE"  (I have 3 paragraphs about my cat Racer and my babies Sweetie and Nuggets (dogs) that is helpful and fun to read by those who love animals.  I post photos/videos of my furry babies on Instagram and have gotten 6 bookings so far since 2016 just because the guests loved the personality of my cat and dogs.  Some guests have even told me they stay with us because they can't have a pet in their own home and want to be around ours.

One such booking that found me first on Instagram is checking in today from NZ.  Its so wonderful to know 100% that I am going to host a 5 Star guest couple just based on getting to know each other for the last 9 months.  Super Excited!!

I hope you found my reply to be helpful.  I want you to feel supported.  If so, feel free to give it a thumbs up by clicking on the icon.  

And @Jann3 don't you dare say I highjacked your posted thread!  HAHAHAAHA.....I gave you props on your wonderful first job of hosting.   Super proud of you on how you have handled things.  Keep us all posted.  And don't forget, if and WHEN you do have a guests who damages, or violates any house rules, get evidence immediately.....pics and videos and report it immediately.  I learned the hard way back in 2015 reporting late by 11 hours to Airbnb of our broken BURNT microwave but now Airbnb is giving hosts more time to report, which is a good thing.   Do know what that timeframe is?  Every host should. 😉

EDITED TO ADD:  If you don't know the timeframe.....use the HELP TAB! haha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Hi Jann,

I'm so glad I saw your post. I just signed up to be a host, and I have my first guests scheduled to arrive this Thursday. I'm really excited to meet them and to host them. Hope all goes well.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Jann3 Reading your post brings me memories of my very first guest on Airbnb two years ago, it is always nice to have guests that understands you right from the beginning of your hosting experience. I hope that your guest will leave you a 5 star rating at the end of her stay. Good luck for the future and happy hosting!!!

She did leave a 5-star rating on everything, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, *and* a glowing review (copied here):

"Jann and Mike are excellent hosts. We were greated with a smile and given a brief overview of the property and amenities. This was very helpful for us as the apartment is tech integrated. The studio itself is fantastic. Just as advertised and honestly more spacious than I expected it to be. It was beautifully furnished and decorated. Jann and Mike have thought of everything. I've never stayed in a place that provided so many perks for the guests. There were makeup removal pads and little packages of ibuprofen, charging cables in case you forget your phone charger... there was complementary coffee, popcorn, even a six pack of spectacular micro brew chilled in the fridge for us. The apartment was quiet and in such a great location. Walking distance to everything downtown and a quick jump over to the highway if you are heading out and about. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this host."

I am so happy! She was SO nice!

@Jann3 You were very lucky to host great guests on your debut not everyone get that on their first experience as host, Good luck for the future!!!

Suzanne203
Level 1
Tempe, AZ

I am just now ready (I think) to host my first guest so I appreciate your comments.  Good job.  I'm a little nervous too.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Hi.  Well done to have had such a nice review for your first time.  Half your luck.  One of my recent guests whinged about the fact that my hairdrier (which I don't use and is stored in the bathroom cupboard) was dusty!  Is she serious!  Never mind the fact that they were asked to put things back they way they found them and didn't.  This is despite a clear written list on the back of the front door that every guest needs to follow before they leave.  Their leaving calling card was that the man left a pair of jocks (presumably dirty) behind on the floor of the room....gross.  Accidental probably but they won't be getting them back.  I should (after washing them of course) auction them on Ebay for the sheer novelty value!  I might be surprised what I get for them!!!  I can't believe the things people whinge about.  She also said that she expected a desk for her laptop to be in the room and wasn't.  Never mind that she could have used the meal table or the desk that was in the lounge.  They did however say that the location was great and the check-in was flexible.  I just kinda needed to tell someone too!  Happy hosting everyone.

Steven86
Level 2
Claremont, CA

Welcome to Airbnb hosting! I have been a host for just about a year now, and it really has been wonderful. I have had a great time communicating with guests, and helping people to enjoy staying in the home we love.

Kindly,

Steve 

Jack107
Level 1
Key West, FL

Now I am wondering how and when Airbnb pays me?  If there is a deposit, does Airbnb return it to the guest?  Basic questions I know but it is impossible to get a live body at Airbnb to answer the simple questions above.  Thank you for supporting this neophyte.  Sincerely, Jack Agnew of Key West