my registration has been denied by City of Chicago Registration yesterday

Rebecca315
Level 1
Chicago, IL

my registration has been denied by City of Chicago Registration yesterday

my registration has been denied by City of Chicago Registration yesterday(9/26), what can I do with the existing bookings(~11/30)? Can I keep run them ? I received another email today about if I don't appeal, my listing will be removed by Airbnb. 

74 Replies 74
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Rebecca315

Perhaps appeal to buy some time, snooze your listing and honour your existing bookings. 

Obviously this is just an idea as you have not told us anything about possible consequences should you do as above.

The email I got says the following "According to Chicago regulations, you have 10 days to initiate an appeal with the city. If you don’t initiate an appeal during that time, we may be forced to remove your listing from Airbnb" So Im assuming if you dont appeal, they will remove it, but its unclear because it says "they MAY be forced to remove"  Have you reached out to air bnb support? If so, what did they say? I sent in Commissioner Adjustment Application but they say it may take 60 days to get a response. Hopefully I will be able to keep the guests I have in the interim. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or similar situations?

So, I'm curious which of your places you received the notice for. Two are obvious they are in 3 flats or under. Is the third in a condo building on the no home share list with the city? What was the citys reason for denial? Was it because of more than one bnb in a building? Not owner occupied? Not your main residence? I think that this is about to happen to a boatload of people, and that you are just one of the first...

Mine got denied too. I live in a building that says no AirBNB. I've got 7 days to take mine down. The fines are pretty hefty, and I read somewhere that a computer program was written specifically to catch people who didn't take their sites down when told to do so. Not worth taking the chance, as one fine could pretty much eat up your entire profits for a month. It makes me angry, as this is my only source of income. 

I got that letter, only mine says they were given an erroneous address by air bnb.

Airbnb is not going to contact the city to fix this, they told me to shut down my listing and lose reservations and superhost status.  Who knows a good lawyer !?

@Carolyn208  did you get this resolved? We got denied as well and am considering hiring a lawyer. Curious to hear how things worked out for your situation. Thanks in advance!

Is this a current situation or an old Post?

I live in the residence on  the first floor, and I'm listing the 2nd fl. It's a private home that had a kitchen and bathroom installed on the second fl. 50 years ago.  The prop assessment  calls my house a  shared building with less than 6 units. I thought I got the letter because it was specified as apt1, apt 2 on the listing, but the Abnb sight dosen't give that option...

I got rejected because my neighbor does Airbnb too and we live in a four flat, so apparently two of us cannot Airbnb - kind of garbage if you ask me. When you sent in your appeal did you pay the $500? I don't do this often enough to justify paying that kind of fee, so I was just curious what happened with your situation. Thanks! 

@Calli0, would your neighbor agree to sharing the Airbnb "rights" with you? e.g. each of you agrees to host 182 days a year and you decide between you which those will be? seems unfair for one person to "hog" the single Airbnb slot for your building...

@Susie5 maybe. I might approach him about it because he too thinks it’s ridiculous. logistically it might be difficult because I have a two bedroom and he has a one bedroom, but it’s a great suggestion. Thanks! 

Jataun0
Level 1
Illinois, United States

I got a denial letter today from the city of chicago with ten days to appeal. It is a single family home. So i guess  I have 2 counts. iam appealing after I scour the internet for good appeal reasons. Uggggggggh. 

"You have attempted to register a unit which is not your primary residence, in a building with four or fewer dwelling units."

Hi. I just recieved this notice as well. How did it go for you? I own my building, and it has 3 units. I occupy one unit, I rent the other on a year lease and now I am airbnb'ing the other. Thanks for any info